World Cup 2018

Discussion in 'Offtopic Lounge' started by crispcem, Jul 2, 2018.

1. crispcem, Jul 2, 2018

crispcem

crispcem Member

mexicofantasy-fest-pets2.jpg
    Hey Mexico! I got two words for you - GO HOME!
    Blatant red card out of play no less, bad sportsmanship at the very least. Layun can suck it on the goal replays in the training room.

yacraps, MisterInside and Twelve4s like this.
  2. MisterInside, Jul 2, 2018

MisterInside

MisterInside Member

I've watched more soccer in the last week than I have watched in 5 years. Not a lot. I'm dismayed by the acting every time there is contact. These soccer sons of bitches are worse than NFL wide receivers who want a damn flag on every attempted forward pass. Sissies. And the USA can't qualify in a 32 team tournament. Sad. I hope that Russia wins the
    damn thing and the MSM will claim it's FIXED!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    yacraps likes this.
  3. crispcem, Jul 2, 2018

crispcem

crispcem Member

Yeah, there are always gonna be 'floppers' but blatant flagrant stepping onto the foot (with cleats mind you) of a down player for absolutely ZERO reason with the ball not in play is a red flag expulsion.
    Neymar has been the target like no other this Copa, at least 20 fouls committed on top of him so far - this is NOT the NFL - and when you're already hobbling on a trick right ankle this is no joke. Don't know if you watched the video til the end, but this is not acceptable, whether Neymar exaggerated or not. He's had a target on his back from the get go.

yacraps and Twelve4s like this.
  4. crispcem, Jul 2, 2018

crispcem

crispcem Member

68:49 BEL-0 JPN-2

Nice, was hoping for this. Has been a pleasure watching Japan develop their game over time.

5. crispcem, Jul 2, 2018

crispcem

crispcem Member

Whoops! :D
    BEL-1 JPN-2
    WE GOT GAME!

6. TDVegas, Jul 2, 2018

TDVegas

TDVegas Member

I do enjoy watching World Cup soccer but utterly cant stand the blatant fake dives, roll on the ground in agony....then pop up 2 seconds later like nothing happened.

All sports have “divers”...but soccer is notoriously bad. The diving I can take...it’s the fake agonizing in pain and then get up 2 seconds later that I can’t stand.

yacraps likes this.
  7. Twelve4s, Jul 2, 2018

Twelve4s

Twelve4s Member

I was pulling for Japan. Belgium was lucky to escape with this one. They won’t be so lucky against Brazil.

yacraps and crispcem like this.
  8. MisterInside, Jul 2, 2018

MisterInside

MisterInside Member

I didn't see the game live and I couldn't watch the link. My comment was solely about the floppers
    and how that has taken over the sports world, in multiple sports. I have now watched the video.
    The jackass went Donkey Kong on him. Suspend the SOB for a year. My bad.

yacraps, crispcem and Twelve4s like this.
  9. Twelve4s, Jul 2, 2018

Twelve4s

Twelve4s Member

I’m like you, don’t watch soccer except for World Cup, but I would never call any of these athletes sissies. Can you think of any NFL players who could last on the pitch in 90 degree heat like these guys, for 90 minutes plus? I can’t.

10. crispcem, Jul 2, 2018

crispcem

crispcem Member

Hey, you never know. Shit happens. Last Copa was a freaking disaster.I flew down for the party only to end up burbling in my caipirinha. The only good thing out of that debacle is that at least Argentina didn't win - at least that. But that was a blow to every man woman and child, let me tell you.
    Gone are the days of o jogo bonito. I got to see the best, decades after Pele from Ronaldo, Romario, Bebeto, Renato Gaucho, Dunga, on. When Brasil lost to France it was as if the whole country went into mourning. Bad. I miss the old days and smooth style. The women's national team retained that style and heart for a very long time under Marta, Cristiane, Formiga - they delivered, but they got/still get very little support. I visited the Museo de Futebol in Sao Paulo and there is not one - not ONE photo of Marta and the most decorated women's team within South America and outsidet Brasil. But the trophies and photos of Pele's time were epic.
    Hopefully we'll get to see Brasil v France. I'd love to see Brasil v England and Harry Kane :)

11. crispcem, Jul 2, 2018

crispcem

crispcem Member

Any injury to the foot, ankle, knee, leg, hips, torso, shoulder - poof. Done.Which is why malicious fouls targeting key players for injury is nasty. Some tugging on jerseys and 'hugging' lol is expected, but cleat first tackles, raking ankles, shins, feet stepping, hits behind the knee, late 'tackling' etc are a no no. Neymar's right ankle is bunged up from old injuries years ago and continues to dog him. It was re-injured when Switzerland went yellow card worthy heavy on him and basically body slammed him the whole match while the ref let most of it slide. Don't think the asshole today just 'accidentally' stepped on Neymar. Of course they had it in for him. Your career can be over from a bad ref letting shit slide too long and turning a blind eye.

12. Twelve4s, Jul 2, 2018

Twelve4s

Twelve4s Member

Brazil vs Uruguay could also be epic. If France plays like they did against Argentina, they will be tough to beat.

yacraps likes this.
  13. crispcem, Jul 6, 2018

crispcem

crispcem Member

HERE WE GO!!!
    BRASIL VS BELGIUM!
    GONNA BE A FIGHT TO THE DEATH! WHAT A PARTY!
    THIS WILL EITHER SEAL THE COPA, OR...
    I'M OUT.
    CROSSING FINGERS BRASIL VS FRANCE
    FOR BRASIL VS ENGLAND FINAL

yacraps likes this.
  14. crispcem, Jul 6, 2018

crispcem

crispcem Member

Well, back to work...
    Belgium forwards and defense did a great job. If England's out I'm done with the copa for this year...
    bah.

yacraps likes this.
  15. MisterInside, Jul 9, 2018

MisterInside

MisterInside Member

Wow......anybody's cup. Ladbrokes odds. Semis Tuesday/Wednesday. Final Saturday.

World Cup 2018 Winner

France
    2/1

England
    5/2

Belgium
    11/4

Croatia
    4/1

yacraps, crispcem and Twelve4s like this.
  16. Twelve4s, Jul 9, 2018

Twelve4s

Twelve4s Member

Croatia vs France final on Sunday

Les Bleu wins the cup 3-2

17. crispcem, Jul 9, 2018

crispcem

crispcem Member

EPIC game between Russia and Croatia. This Cup has delivered mad entertainment!
    I'm going for Belgium. I think it will be Belgium v England final.
    Belgium team has those beefy forwards, they have been on fire. As much as we like to think 'size doesn't matter', it still does in the world of soccer. Lukaku is steadily improving as sorcerer's apprentice under Thierry. France fans should be steaming if it winds up a Belgium win over France lol. Lukaku's been the one to watch with some brilliant fakes and assists for goal. Belgium is dangerous and improving each game. Gonna be a fabulous fight to victory!

18. random_roller, Jul 9, 2018

random_roller

random_roller Member

I'll let the craps table decide:

Not France
    2/1 = payout on odds bet (following a hit) when the 4/10 is the point

Not Belgium
    11/4 = payout (following a hit) on a crapless craps table when placing the 3 or 11

Not Croatia
    4/1 = payout (following a hit) on Big Red

Therefore, I pick England at 5/2.

19. Twelve4s, Jul 9, 2018

Twelve4s

Twelve4s Member

This has been an amazing World Cup, regardless who wins! Soccer fans are the winners. I love watching gifted athletes performing at the highest level of competition. The Russian people should be incredibly proud of their team and the beautiful venues for the tournament. Their match against Croatia was a true battle to the end. I’m glad I wasn’t hooked up to an EKG while watching the shootout. My numbers were definitely code red.

We’ll see how much the Russian battle took out of Croatia and England is improving each game, but I think Croatia’s goalie will be the big question mark? How serious was his injury? Will he even play? I guess I’m pulling for Croatia, the underdog, the small country, but either country has earned the win, if they go through. If I was in Vegas, my money would be on France and Croatia.

MisterInside, yacraps and crispcem like this.

20. yacraps

yacraps Member

Yuh watching the Cup?

Twelve4s and MisterInside like this.