Underhand setup question

Discussion in 'Dice Influencing' started by LZNam, Aug 10, 2011.

1. LZNam

LZNam Member

When throwing underhanded do you use the same dice setup as you would if you are throwing overhanded?

I have tried underhanded a few times but it felt uncomfortable. Do to lack of practice.

2. Hardeight, Aug 10, 2011

Hardeight

Hardeight Member

Overhanded?I cant imagine having much control its not pitching a baseball.I have only seen one dude throw overhand and have success he hit 2 points and 20 rolls but never seen him again.

3. LZNam

LZNam Member

I believe some people call it an overhand throw while others may call in a backhand throw. If they are not the same I stand corrected.

4. DeMango, Aug 10, 2011

DeMango

DeMango Member

This isn't rocket science. Palm up = underhand. Palm down = overhand. Could be called backhanded. but the former is the accepted designation.

5. Hardeight, Aug 11, 2011

Hardeight

Hardeight Member

ok I see what you mean now.I use a tong grip so I am assuming thats overhand

6. $nakeEye$, Aug 11, 2011

$nakeEye$

$nakeEye$ Member

LZ -

Let me say this about that -

In my overhand toss set-up - if I am setting the 3V - my left green die would have 4 on top and the 1 facing me - my right red die would have the 4 on top and the 5 facing me -

FOR TRACKING PURPOSES ONLY - USING BONETRACKER SOFTWARE - I switch / transpose the dice - I put the red die to the left and the green die to the right -

WHEN I AM THROWING UNDERHANDED !

The reason that I do that is because when I turn my hand over from the O/H grip the dice are now " out of synch " with my tracking results -

It is easier to show this than it is to try and explain -

In my opinion - turning your hand over should have no bearing on the outcome of the dice set - unless you are totally proficient where you can hit " top side " numbers - " bottom side " numbers - or " quarter pitch " numbers with consistancy !

Additionally, as this throwing technique is comparable to " bowling " one needs to a have some sort of a backswing arc to accomplish this throw -

Hence it is not doable from table end - only from S1 - Hook positions.

7. $nakeEye$, Aug 11, 2011

$nakeEye$

$nakeEye$ Member

Yes, you are correct -

The palm down throw is commonly referred to as an " overhand or backhand " throw as oppossed to an under handed throw as in bowling !

8. $nakeEye$, Aug 11, 2011

$nakeEye$

$nakeEye$ Member

If your palm is facing " down " you are correct !

Reminder: This is the Dice Influencing section.