TOO Much DRAMA !

Discussion in 'General Craps Discussion' started by $nakeEye$, Aug 22, 2015.

1. betwthelines, Aug 30, 2015

betwthelines

betwthelines Member

ditto, boys, ditto
    tom "home runs are sometimes boring" p

2. TDVegas, Aug 30, 2015

TDVegas

TDVegas Member

There is a lot of truth in that...the truth would come from other ways...it would not be directly tied to a winning performance or a failure. How did we find out card counting is a form of advantage play?

-I want to show you how DI works?
    -OK, how do you plan to do that?

-Well, I'm going to show you how I hold, toss and where I land the dice.
    -OK, but that's not demonstrating DI works or doesn't work? I really don't need to watch as you twirl like a ballerina before you toss. My end is just result.

-Well, I am going to roll some 6 & 8's.
    -OK, but you understand even in a random roll of 36...we might see 5 each of those numbers?

-Wait. What?
    -Random rolling provides for the 6 & 8 to possibly show 5 times each. How exactly are you going to demonstrate influence beyond that in the time you hold the dice?

-One more question, how many rolls is it going to take you to demonstrate it works?
    -Oh, well, um, my plan is to win some money....

-OK, you think winning some money demonstrates it works. Conversely, if you lose money, that means it doesn't work?
    -Wait, what?, no, um...well...I want to show you how DI works.

-OK, how do you plan to do that?........
    -Well, I'm going to show you how I hold, toss and where I land the dice

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  3. Onautopilot, Aug 30, 2015

Onautopilot

Onautopilot Member

In bad weather, standing on the flight deck, watching the little destroyers play "submarine"....I would always give thanks that I was an "airdale". :) Yep, the carriers could outrun most anything in the water, they had to put a lot of wind over the deck to insure safe traps and cats for the planes. Not the right venue for this, but nice to meet a fellow swab.

4. betwthelines, Aug 30, 2015

betwthelines

betwthelines Member

this reminds me of a purely "academic" and useless discussion with some friends a few years back...the topic was momentum...we all know that is mass x velocity...i started it with the assertion, "the largest man-made momentum is/was the longest, fully loaded frieght train at full speed" and added, "2nd place is not even close"...

the only other reasonable thing anyone could think of was a fully loaded aircraft carrier at top speed...we all knew this was very fast, and a very closely guarded top secret...indeed to this day, despite 4 years in the navy myself and asking many who had served on carriers (they did not know) remains a top secret and unknown to me (something actually quite satisfying, given especially the fact that i myself served at a supposedly "secret" communications base in 'ustralier, and you could randomly pick a stranger walking the streets of sydney [3000 miles away] and he probably would have heard of it!! [well, ok, i am being a little disingenuous here: it was in truth only the mission that was secret...but still...])...so, ok, where was i...

...o yah...so i still maintained that the carrier momentum is a distant second to the freight train...now pressit says 95k tons...this validates
    my contention a little bit: 95k tons is a middling fraction to the fully loaded, longest freight train...

anybody else have any ideas on the largest man-made momentum? there might be something in outer space, given the high velocities, though relatively puny mass, out there...

-g. geist: you've topped yourself again
    --tom p: how's that?
    ---g. geist: the most useless, inane, irrelevant post ever...
    ----tom p:

5. Onautopilot, Aug 30, 2015

Onautopilot

Onautopilot Member

6. Onautopilot, Aug 30, 2015

Onautopilot

Onautopilot Member

Loaded dice?

7. FredP

FredP Member

If black holes move, they win.

Fred

8. FredP

FredP Member

I know, they're not man-made.

Fred

9. betwthelines, Aug 30, 2015

betwthelines

betwthelines Member

BINGO!

while, no, it does not trump the primary contention, it does invalidate the "2nd place doesn't even come close" declaration!!

-g. geist: oh, yer'ra riot, alice! a riot!
    --tom p:
    ---g. geist: how's this for momentum?: Bang! Zoom! to the moon, alice...to the moon!
    ----tom p: good one...

"everybody's funny. you funny too" john lee hooker, House Rent Boogie, 1971

Onautopilot likes this.
  10. betwthelines, Aug 30, 2015

betwthelines

betwthelines Member

well, yah, you beat me to the punch with the correction, and if i am not mistaken, everything moves...thus would the momentum of the entire universe be the champ...lol...a distinction without meaning, i suppose...

-g. geist: idiot! this entire string of posts is "a distinction without meaning"!
    --tom p:

11. Onautopilot, Aug 30, 2015

Onautopilot

Onautopilot Member

Tom, is it still a "secret", or are you and it, old enough for it to be declassified? :)

12. betwthelines, Aug 31, 2015

betwthelines

betwthelines Member

CAUTION: EXTREME LOGORRHEA AHEAD
    well, the U.S. base itself is long gone--in name and "official" consumption at least--and the vietnam war is long over but i seriously doubt that some --maybe much-- of its mission is no longer classified "top secret"...

seriously, take a look at this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Communication_Station_Harold_E._Holt

i followed the goings on with interest for a while (i see this article states: "With a transmission power of 1 megawatt, it is the most powerful transmission station in the Southern Hemisphere."...i knew that at the time [1970 -'71] but surprised to see that that is purportedly stlll the case [bearing in mind it is wikipedia but i suppose likely true in the "unclassified" world ;)]...i do know also that back then the VLF tower was the tallest man-made structure in the southern hemisphere, which of course i do know to be no longer the case [interestingly wiki says the distinction now belongs to yet another communications tower in Aukland City, NZ])...

The article also states that US Naval personnel have left...this i also highly doubt although possibly true as to military ranked US Navy personnel...or at least overtly so ranked..."officially" US Navy personnel have left i suppose, but in reality? count me in as a skeptic.

ok...now with a straight face, tell me that this isnt hilarious ((caution: short story long ahead ala tjp)) names have not been changed in order to live dangerously and for clarity:

i keep in touch regularly with 2 old navy mates, both from ComNavComm Harold E Holt, northwest cape, western 'ustralier...(and a third too [not from CNC HEH, nwc, w '], sort of: it's been maybe 10 years now but mentally i have not abandoned hope for future contact)...One of them, Ron Pfeifer (pron. "fifer" but obviously in tjpspeak this would never do and it is pronounced "Pafeifer" [spelled that way too])...we have stayed in relatively frequent contact but it was not until 2014 that we actually made personal contact at his place in washington state (whereas the other, 'ol dan'l graves of nashv'lle ark and i have been in fairly frequent, personal contact)...Ron lived in a barracks building that has been renovated and is now part of The Sea Breeze Resort ( http://seabreezeresort.com.au/ )...

shortly after the first of the year, 2016, i plan to circumautomotivigate Oz on roads as close to the coasts as possible, something that was not possible in '70-'71 as there were substantially no roads between the northwest cape and darwin (north coast, mid continent) and, as far as i know not much either between darwin and the east coast...thus we were denied a stretch of "forclosed". if not forbidden. fruit...today i am assured this is no longer the case with many distances of modern, "sealed" (asphalt or the like) roads...the adventure i estimate will take anywhere from 2 to 4 months, although, much as i regret abandoning complete serendipity, i am leaning towards "firm" arrival/departure dates, a roughly 3 month interval i suppose, as a purely air-fare, financial consideration...my mental picture anticipates only two planned stops on this serendipitous sojourn...or rather anticipated (semi-past tense) two: one was/is a couple of sessions at the rail with Morgue---but where the hell is morgue these days!??

...the other planned stop is a stay for a night or two or three, or five at the Sea Breeze Resort, exmouth, western 'ustralier...sometime ago i downloaded the legacy logo of the Sea Breeze Resort and i am real thankful now that i did as i see just today that this logo is gone from the internet (at least from the first couple of google pages), replaced by the generic, and for this purpose useless "Best Western" logo...this i pasted on to an 8x11 sheet along with the largest font
    that would aesthetically (sheeesh! now i'm even spelling like the aussies as i go on here!) fit on the page: "THE RON PaFEIFER SUITE" and saved it...

...this i will frame and take with me to oz...at the sea breeze resort i will paste this up on the door of my room and perhaps elsewhere in the room and engage someone to snap pictures of my visage along side it...further if possible and if they have pertinent, outside signage, i will grease the manager to very temporarily put up "Ron P
    afeifer Suite Available" on the sign outside and take some pictures of that...

Ron P
    afeifer is a brilliant amateur photographer (his slides from our time in western 'ustralier was one of the highlights of my visit and really, really brought it back) and is real chagrined--very chagrined--that i dont take pictures...never really have...his insistence that i get a decent camera for my oz expedition bordered on mania...i sensed extreme rage should i not do so and this from one of the most level, mellow people i know...

...i think he's gonna like these pictures

ps. i have pulled off something similar in the past...even some of my stick-in-the-mud co-workers found this a good one...somewhat more than a middling salesperson, i often won "president's club" trips...an accessory to these events was a yearbook like volume with pictures, sales stats etc. of the winners...they would bring in an outside photograher who of course knew none of us from adam...i was able to talk a very photogenic african american dude into standing in for me at the photo shoot (um...i am caucasion)...sure enough it was his picture published alongside my name and info in the book...i recall sitting over drinks with the vp (iirc this was on the big island, hawaii) imploring him to be sure and check out my stuff in the publication...others at the table were in controlled stitches...he only looked bemused but his interest aroused to be sure...

"Hold it! I think you're gonna like this picture" bob cummings, The Bob Cummings Show, aka Love that Bob, 1955-1959

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  13. Onautopilot, Aug 31, 2015

Onautopilot

Onautopilot Member

Tom, is it still a "secret", or are you and it, old enough for it to be declassified? :)
    Thanks for sharing that part of your life, and the future plans! That base looks really remote, what did you all do for fun and excitement down there? :) Interesting article in the link about the aircraft incident thing concerning electronics disruption.

14. KokomoJoe4, Aug 31, 2015

KokomoJoe4

KokomoJoe4 Member

Ensign betwnthelines was responsible for declassifying all the bullshit flying over the megawatt airwaves, especially including that initiated by petty officer g. geist

Onautopilot likes this.
  15. DeMango, Aug 31, 2015

DeMango

DeMango Member

Can we get back to the drama please?

16. lone irish digit, Aug 31, 2015

lone irish digit

While were at it, I would like to thank Snakeyes for his service. I would also like to thank myself for my service and the dice thug for his...nevermind.

Onautopilot likes this.
  17. betwthelines, Aug 31, 2015

betwthelines

betwthelines Member

CAUTION: EVEN MORE LOGORRHEA AHEAD!!
    OMG! I hope you are not sorry you asked...See---i am sorry---but you keep getting me started!.........

July 21, 1976, Minneapolis MN
    i was sitting in a bar...the previous day viking 1 had landed on mars and shortly was about to send back the very first color pictures from the surface of that planet...in 1976 color TV was not "new"...but yet it was still young enough that its market penetration, which moved slower in those days, had not reached saturation (say, for example, like cell phones have today)...poor peoples, for example, did not all own color TVs...NBC still had its peacock prominently on display and the networks---there were only 3 of them anyway---still proudly reminded us that they were broadcasting in color...sears and monkey wards ads assured us that easy terms were available to purchase a color tv of your very own...color tvs were still "something" in 1976...

...so i am sitting in this bar and remember thinking "...pictures from mars...and-wow- in color!...now that's something" ...not that i was overly gung-ho about the space program or anything like that...but then, nor was i totally disinterested either having once, as a 3rd class radioman stationed at ComNavCom (commander naval communications) in washington dc, been involved in a very, very tiny and very, very tangental, unforseen and very unimportant way with communications (a navy bird ) during and regarding the first landing on the moon 7 years prior (i happened to be the only one on duty---chow time for the other swabby--- i think, and it truly WAS unimportant but for the powers that were ---political and military---NOTHING was "unimportant" when it came to that first moon landing; they really did have all their ducks inna row)...

truth be told, though, it might have been "as the world turns" or "the guiding light" on that color tv in that dark bar but...no...on that afternoon it was imminent color pictures from mars on the color tv in that dark bar...and so that---by default really--- is what i would be watching...walter cronkite told us that the pictures were on their way but that it would take something like 4 minutes to reach us now (either that or i just made that part up, wunna those two)...so, then, 3, 4 minutes later, there they were: the first color pictures from the surface of mars:

"MY GAWD!!" i screamed at the top of my lungs and everybody turned to look at me
    "IT'S WESTERN 'USTRALIER!!"
    ----------
    As 'pilot knows, the US Navy calls them "watches". Civilians call them "shifts" or work schedules. Our work required 24/7/365/366 coverage but we had enough personnel most of the time so that we could run a watch called "two-two-two and eighty". It was fantastic. You would work 2 midwatches (0000-0800), come back 8 hours after the 2nd one to work 2 eve watches (1600-2400) with again just 8 hours off then back for 2 day watches (0800-1600). You then had 80 hours liberty! a more than 3 day weekend every (8 day) week!

The playground for this 80 hours was vast and spectacular

You have seen the artists' imaginations of dinosaurs and the renditions of mesozoic landscapes that they inhabited...well, add tinges of red --- you've seen color pictures of Mars, right?---yeah, that red...remove most of the ponds and lakes and their corresponding water guzzling plants...then every hundred miles or so add one of these billabongs and their water dependent flora back in...sprinkle the landscape with wild watermelons, approximately 3 million per acre should do it...

...Here dinosaurs lurked, wild emu ran away at the first sight of humans no matter how far away, ungainly looking, comely but the noblest of creatures i have ever encountered...one day riding a desert bike (see below) on the 8 ft wide trails i encountered a dinosaur 200 yards ahead sprawled across the trail...the beast measured more than the width of the trail...100 yards ahead it appeared not to move off the way but rather "disappeared", such was its astonishing speed for a creature so large...riding past just where it had been i was treated to its 18 inch tongue with its smallish fork on the end flicking at me...here dinosaurs lurked...

here unwary 'roos were splattered by your jeep (see below). Every vehicle I ever saw in Northwest 'ustrailier had a roo guard...kangaroos make american deer look like crosswalk guards!...

here there are reefs...We were told the really spectacular reefs were on the other side of the continent...we found it difficult to believe such possible...

...i have personally seen spectacular beaches all over the world...none---save one---more spectacular than in western 'ustralier, 1970-71...(the most spectacular IMO? believe it or not Michigan Bay of the world's largest lake, Lake Michihuron [tjpspeak for the fallaciously indentified 2 lakes, Michigan and Huron. 2 gigantic bays of the same immense lake {the sea level at chicago, milwaukee, georgian bay, port huron, gary indiana etc etc are the same...the strait at mackinaw is just that, a strait, a narrowing of the water surface where the water intermingles, NOT a river where the water flows!}, the beach at sleeping bear sand dunes...)

Western 'ustralier, 1970-71 was paradise for campers, hikers, scuba divers, snorkelers, fishers, shrimpers ("prawns" locally), death by blue octopus...and one of the remotest places on earth...

...not to mention the southern sky in the absence of light pollution! dont even get me started! but i will say that there i witnessed the most ASTONISHING, LITERALLY UNBELIEVABLE natural phenomenon that to this day i would not believe my own eyes were it not for the fact of 2 other witnesses...and our absolutely simultaneously exclamation ---we could have been the everly brothers triplets---of the exact same words as to its description...alas i have struggled mightily for almost 45 years to describe it in written words and find it impossible...one needs to be in my physical presence and with a clear view of the horizon to tell the story and even at that the telling can barely do justice to its nature...maybe if any of us ever get together, you can remind me...i still get chills in the telling...

The base had an exchange where you could rent stuff: camping equipment, fishing tackle. desert bikes, snorkeling gear etc-- and, get this, even a jeep! Most 80's we - there were usually 2 or 3 of us - would light out for the wild outback or the spectacular beaches...

i suppose mention should be made of the thirty days leave per year also...free transportation was provided, if you wanted, to alice springs, smack in the middle of the continent and close by the sacred and astonishly rising rock Uluru
    https://www.google.com/#q=ayers rock
    or you could go on to sydney or even to christchurch nz, a famous jumping off point for antarctic expeditions...
    from there the plane flew on to the states via samoa, hawaii. san francisco but you needed special permission to take leave back to the states or even past christchurch, permission which was always granted for emergencies and a few other circumstances (eg childbirth) but otherwise not so much...i suppose it could depend upon your lobbying skills or other abilities/connections but i never knew anyone that took leave back to the states...i myself spent time at alice springs, visiting the rock and in sydney....

And that, 'pilot, is but a taste of what we did for "fun and excitement down there"...

Yes! and in re-reading your post here looks like this may be what you are referring to...but just in case i am wrong and you missed it, here is the last link regarding the matter from the sydney morning herald:
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/exmouth-interference-unlikely/2009/01/06/1231004023238.html

18. Onautopilot, Aug 31, 2015

Onautopilot

Onautopilot Member

Great memories! I use to fly supplies into Christchurch, for the wintering over party, had some good times in New Zealand. Enjoyed the read!

19. Onautopilot, Aug 31, 2015

Onautopilot

Onautopilot Member

I'll take full blame, I answered Pessit's questions, and that started the "fork in the road". I agree, the drama is probably much more interesting! :)

20. betwthelines, Aug 31, 2015

betwthelines

betwthelines Member

LOL I post 50,000 words of off-topic blather...you post 50 words and you're taking "full blame" LOL...good one!

ps what was the "drama" again?
    -g. geist: i think it was a buncha "inside baseball" and personal vendettas
    --tom p: no, i don't think so
    ---g. geist: i suppose we could just go back and look
    ----tom p: nah. been there, read that...
    -----g. geist:
    ------tom p: if there was anything new or earth shattering, i would have remembered it anyway...
    -------g. geist: yah

Onautopilot likes this.