table manners

Discussion in 'Beginner Zone' started by testmember, Jan 20, 2009.

1. testmember, Jan 20, 2009

testmember

testmember Member

One of the things I like about craps is that you get to see all the different personalities of the shooters. Everyone does things differently and its fun to watch. One pet peeve of mine though is "hot" shooters who throw the dice really fast. They are always bouncing the dice off the table and slowing the game down.

Anyone have any other pet peeves?

2. 3aces

3aces Member

Yes, I do. I don't know why these guys think that acting like an idiot is part of the game or is going to make them win more often, but they sure do and I could do without it.

3. QofHearts, Jan 30, 2009

QofHearts

QofHearts Member

One of the things that bothers me is when these "girls" who know nothing about the game come over and try to blow on a dudes dice. That to me is tacky and just so low class. This isn't the movies so just move on.

4. Reala

Reala Member

Oh, ew, you mean women actually do that?! I thought that that only happened in the movies for effect and whatnot.

Wow. I suddenly feel like humanity just failed me in an inexplainable way.

5. coco_poko, Feb 25, 2009

coco_poko

coco_poko Member

Everyone has different styles and that's what makes this game interesting. BTW ever seen those millionaire, blonde guided, guys play craps. They are so much of showers that instead of playing the game, the are more into their companions. Even though they loose they keep their noose high up in the air.

6. ChumpChange, Feb 14, 2010

ChumpChange

ChumpChange Member

My pet peeve is 8 out of 12 shooters tossing 7-out within 3 throws. I should just bet after the third throw, pre-qualify them.

7. goatcabin, Feb 27, 2010

goatcabin

goatcabin Member

A few years ago, I ran a simulation of 65,535 hands; of those, 15,032, or about 23%, lasted just two or three rolls.

"Pre-qualifying" shooters just keeps you out of action, and you are always going to miss their first throw, which over 22% of the time will be a winner.

Cheers,
    Alan Shank

8. lucky4688, Mar 1, 2010

lucky4688

lucky4688 Member

I definately have some pet peaves at the table:

Throwing the dice off the table----the dice are meant to be tossed not thrown..."easy hercules"

Middle of the roll buy ins---Come on! wait until the shooter hits his point

Players dropping chips on the layout because they are holding $100 in nickel chips in one hand---Thats whats the rail is for, your not cool

Rolling all 5 dice off the wall before picking the right two, or rolling both dice off the wall before each toss---really?...your just slowing the game down

When someone buys in to the right of me, never makes a bet, but the dice go to that person before me---What is this? I thought u had to have a prior bet

Vulgar comments at someone who sevens out---everyone is their to win, most betters don't want to see that seven, if you can't handle it, don't play

Someone who hangs their arms over the rail, or even worse someone who continually makes late bets and the dice hit their hands---When the dice are in the middle of the table, thats the time to bet.

This just happened today...A guy walked up behind the stickman, tossed a quarter under the sticks left elbow and yelled hi-lo. The dice were in the air and the boxman said "bet". The toss was a yo and the guy kept walking. Aggravating, but least he didn't hop sevens

9. The Midnight Skulker, Mar 3, 2010

The Midnight Skulker

> I definately have some pet peaves at the table:

Since I'm going to respond point by point please forgive my Usenet quoting format.

> Throwing the dice off the table----the dice are meant to be tossed not thrown..."easy hercules"

"Both dice to the wall, please, not through it."

> Players dropping chips on the layout because they are holding $100 in nickel chips in one hand---Thats whats the rail is for, your not cool

The only time I have seen a game stopped while the tape was reviewed, a somewhat regular player dropped a pile (not a stack, a pile) of chips on top of an existing Pass Line bet between the time the dice stopped rolling and the (comeout) call of "7 winner". The player wanted to be paid for the entire mess and the box called Mission Control. After review the player got paid only for his original bet.

> Rolling all 5 dice off the wall before picking the right two, or rolling both dice off the wall before each toss---really?...your just slowing the game down

Only one example of attention-getting betting behavior.

> When someone buys in to the right of me, never makes a bet, but the dice go to that person before me---What is this? I thought u had to have a prior bet

No prior bet is required anywhere I have played. Nevertheless, I have always considered it to be poor manners to step up to the table in front of a player already there just as that player was about to become the shooter, and if I do that I pass the dice on that go-around and explain why I am doing so.

> Vulgar comments at someone who sevens out---everyone is their to win, most betters don't want to see that seven, if you can't handle it, don't play

I had the opportunity to give as good as I got at Sundowner in Reno, NV. I was one right of the stick; a regular, who requested and got a stool to sit on, was one left. I held the dice for a few minutes and made some passes, but after every craps and when I sevened out the regular would mumble, "Way to go, Slick." When he then went Continental (two rolls, no coffee) I exclaimed, "Ah, so that's how it's done!" This didn't do anything for my popularity, but then I wasn't a regular player there and so didn't care.

> Someone who hangs their arms over the rail, or even worse someone who continually makes late bets and the dice hit their hands---When the dice are in the middle of the table, thats the time to bet.

At the now closed Ramada Express, also in Reno, I encountered a group of Middle Easterners straight out right while I was shooting from straight out left. Before every roll they had to discuss what to bet and where while dangling their hands over the edge of the rail. When I starting taking heat for waiting for them to make their decisions I decided to solve this problem with what I will label "The Power Roll". Yeah, yeah; "to the wall, not through it," but after I nailed 'em a couple times they got the message.

For my own list of table manners please see http://www.frankscoblete.com/Article.cfm?ArticleId=37640&CategoryName=Article

10. Flash

Flash Member

Ahhh let me list a few....

When a smelly player joins in right next to me..

People who shoot sitting down.... dunno why.. it just bothers me

Dealers talking about they're wives or whathaveyou while im alone at a table shooting..

Someone throwing cash down on the table mid-shoot

11. The Midnight Skulker, Mar 24, 2010

The Midnight Skulker

Here's my favorite story of that type.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.gambling.craps/browse_thread/thread/6c1de15ee33b826b/ff181ce3a19f7e29?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=Wendover+"Midnight+Skulker"+group:rec.gambling.craps&pli=1
    My take, and a whole lot more, on this situation.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.gambling.craps/browse_thread/thread/2215179daa4df16/8046da890ba31252?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=dealers+talking+"Midnight+Skulker"+group:rec.gambling.craps

12. arrgy

arrgy Member

People who think because I bet don't I am betting against them, even when they aren't the shooter. No...I am betting for an outcome that is opposite of what you want, and I have math on my side! If you go to a roulette table and you bet red do you get upset when the person next to you bets black? If you get that pissed off then bet the don't side, you will more and more often.

13. The Midnight Skulker, Jun 24, 2010

The Midnight Skulker

It is for this reason that I bet Don't Pass only very, very rarely, confining my bets to Don't Come when I'm on the dark side. That way, when a shooter makes a point and I'm behind one or more numbers, and can openly root for a seven along with all the do-gooders -- er, -siders :) -- on the next comeout, and if it shows say, "That's the way we drew it up."

14. rudeboy99, Jun 8, 2012

rudeboy99

rudeboy99 Member

My biggest bitch is with players not being aware of a.) the location of the dice and b.) not watching to see in what direction the dice are traveling when shot. This is a fundamental ALL players should be aware of.