NY state calling in everyone

Discussion in 'Offtopic Lounge' started by Liman, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Liman

Liman Member

a letter I got today:
    Andrew M. Cuomo

GOVERNOR
    March 17, 2020
    Dear Retired Health Professional:
    In the event that the novel coronavirus crisis worsens, we need the help of qualified retired health professionals and related professionals to supplement our hospital capacity on a temporary basis to treat seriously ill coronavirus patients including those that may need to be intubated. The NYS Dept. of Health will recertify you for the purpose.
    To that end, we need the following information immediately:
     Your specific qualifications and your interest in being of public service in this regard.
     Date of birth
     Last date of practice
     Role in last practice
     Date of last certification and license
     Contact information including location
     Would you be willing to work in other parts of New York State?
     What certification or license would you need to be of service? Keep in mind the state is willing and able to help facilitate certification and licensure in this regard.
     Describe your interest and ability to be able to provide your services to treat patients if the need should arise in the future.
    Please provide these responses within 36 hours using this survey(site deleted by me.(
    If you have any questions please contact( email deleted by me) Your immediate attention is necessary and appreciated.
    With your help, New York State is working to protect our residents and strengthen our public health system to deal. We appreciate your commitment to the health and safety of all New Yorkers and look forward to building on our partnership.
    Michael Dowling, President & CEO of Northwell Health, and Kenneth Raske, President, Greater New York Hospital Association, are leading this "surge project" for me and I hope you cooperate. It is as important an issue as we have ever seen.
    Sincerely,
    ANDREW M. CUOMO

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020

2. Liman

Liman Member

suprising, considering the risk factors with the aging population, he is asking for people of advanced age, which usually comes with other baggage, (like me, 65, diabetic, auto immune disease), Im guessing things are pretty bad or they are getting prepared for an onslaught of sick professionals

Settingcanthurt, yacraps and Mssthis1 like this.

3. Liman

Liman Member

I volunteered my services after 9-11 when a similar call went out to all health professionals, not that I thought pharmacists would be in high demand, but I felt it was my duty if they really thought my services would be needed.

yacraps and Mssthis1 like this.
  4. Mssthis1, Mar 23, 2020

Mssthis1

Mssthis1 Member

They should be docking cruise ships at New York City, LA and San Fran and using military doctors plus retired medical volunteers to staff them . It would be much better than nothing and would offer much better containment.

Used to be the President could use rules written into Reforger to order that. I don't know if he'd have to jump through hoops to make that happen now or not.

yacraps likes this.

5. Liman

Liman Member

there must be a shortage of staff right now, and Im sure they expect it to get worse and its not like they can ask another state to help out, everyone is in the same boat. Its a sad situation.
    Im sure there are a lot of retail guys out there that might be fine with working for a few extra bucks, at least to cover shifts in hospitals if staff thins out, especially the hospitals are running at 100% speed 24 hours a day

Its clear they need as many retired nurses and doctors as they can get. along with people like respiratory therapists, etc.