Landing Zone Issues

Discussion in 'Dice Influencing' started by epenak, Nov 26, 2011.

1. epenak, Nov 26, 2011

epenak

epenak Member

Southern Comfort offered a wonderful suggestion on how to correct a grip problem that I had posted about.

This grip is a variation of the 3 finger grip but the index and ring fingers rest at the die corners and the middle finger is not used. The outside fingers press the dice together and the thumb can provide stability without too much pressure.

As I was practicing with this grip, I did not much improvement to my dice response on the practice table.

Instead, I saw that the dice were landing all over the table. I was focusing on my grip so much that I had ignored the LZ component. I went back to my 3 finger grip and focused on the LZ.

Immediately after addressing the LZ, my results improved. Fewer side faces. Better correlation and vastly improved on axis primary faces, compared to my earlier results. If I missed my preferred LZ, though, I went back to double rotations.

Should the size and location of the LZ have an effect on the outcomes or should I be looking back to my grip issues?

2. Southern-Comfort, Nov 26, 2011

Southern-Comfort

Thanks for the compliment on the practice grip. Its not a grip that you would want to use when you have money on the table, its just a way to train those other two fingers to know their place.
    And the Landing Zone id extremely important. You'll find the best spot will vary from table to table, so you may want to experiment a little on a new table.
    I once had a table that had a great spot right in front of where one of the players would put his chips on the passline. Worked out perfect for me since he kept marking it for me, and the dice never hit his chip.

3. epenak, Nov 27, 2011

epenak

epenak Member

Do you ever use different landing zones for different dice sets?

4. steelevo, Nov 30, 2011

steelevo

steelevo Member

The landing zone is very important. I use a plastic bowl to practice throwing dice in. I'll move it around my practice rig to see if I can hit any spot. It makes for a great warm up before practice.

5. $nakeEye$, Dec 1, 2011

$nakeEye$

$nakeEye$ Member

[quote author="epenak" date="1322433156"]Do you ever use different landing zones for different dice sets?[/quote]

WHY would one even contemplate such a scenario -

Different landing zones for different table lengths - YES -

Different landing zones for different table conditions -

Including - bounce - throwing position - table length - YES -

Changing because of a different dice set - NO !

6. epenak, Dec 4, 2011

epenak

epenak Member

Reminder: This is the Dice Influencing section.