Kentucky Derby 2015

Discussion in 'Offtopic Lounge' started by TDVegas, May 2, 2015.

1. TDVegas, May 2, 2015

TDVegas

TDVegas Member

Carpe Diem to win, place and show
    Firing line to win
    Materiality to win
    Exacta box carpe diem/Frosted.

2. KokomoJoe4, May 2, 2015

KokomoJoe4

KokomoJoe4 Member

LOL. you should have seen my final four predictions.........., and I have Pacquiao winning the fight tonight.

yacraps likes this.
  3. Dave G Ct, May 2, 2015

Dave G Ct

Dave G Ct Member

Would like to see Pacquiao win. Would set up a bigger rematch

4. Onautopilot, May 2, 2015

Onautopilot

Onautopilot Member

They had Derby Day here at the RV park, we drew horses....I think mine finished, not sure. :) But the free food was great!

yacraps likes this.
  5. rongarm10, May 2, 2015

rongarm10

rongarm10 Member

I hate to tell you this Dave G. the likely hood of a rematch after tonites fight will more than not gonna happen. Took them around 5 yrs to set this fight up and both are getting closer to 40. Just sayin.

yacraps likes this.
  6. TDVegas, May 2, 2015

TDVegas

TDVegas Member

My horse certainly did not seize the day. Free food is always good.

yacraps likes this.
  7. TDVegas, May 2, 2015

TDVegas

TDVegas Member

I would like to see Manny win....my gut tells me he has no chance. Hopefully I'm wrong.

8. TDVegas, May 3, 2015

TDVegas

TDVegas Member

Never a doubt,. Typical Floyd fight...boring as hell, avoids the punch, throws a few jabs and collects 150 million. The guy is dirt but he knows the deal and maximizes it. Where Pacquiao thought he won is beyond me. Kicking myself for not making easy money---

A lot of dumb money went on the allegiance (hope) to Pac-man and "I hate Floyd". In reality the odds should have been like 5-1 or greater.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  9. The Midnight Skulker, May 6, 2015

The Midnight Skulker

My very first visit to a track was with wife and another couple. Of course I knew zilch and so researched what the newspaper handicapers had to say. Cisco Wilson was the unanimous pick in the first, so I confidently bet him to show. He finished dead last, which persuaded me to stick to craps.

yacraps and Onautopilot like this.
  10. basicstrategy777, May 6, 2015

basicstrategy777

When at the track you never bet all the races....just a few. Like qualifying the shooter at the table ie. never bet on every shooter. Patience grasshopper. IMHO.

Also, rememeber......favorites only win 35% of the time...come in second 55% of the time ...and come in third 69% of the time. You might think a horse is a lock but they can't talk and tell you if they are hurting and there is always that trainers excuse, racing luck.

To be a really good handicapper requires much effort, a good memory and intelligence. Like craps, it's tough to win, but when you do, it is very satisfying.

I love Saratoga in August.....the prettiest track in the country, IMHO.

Twelve4s and yacraps like this.
  11. Bases loaded, May 6, 2015

Bases loaded

Bases loaded Member

Not saying much, but I had all the favorites over the weekend:

American Pharoah
    Money Mayweather
    Dale Jr.

Twelve4s, yacraps and Onautopilot like this.
  12. The Midnight Skulker, May 6, 2015

The Midnight Skulker

I prevaricated slightly when I implied I gave up the ponies after my day 1, race 1 experience, though it was a good 20 years later after moving to a different state that next I ventured forth. I still didn't know anything, but I decided to check the horses out in the paddock before placing a bet. If none of them caught my eye, or the favorite was clearly my favorite, I passed on that race. Went once a year for maybe five years, but haven't been for another decade or two.

I also employed a go-for-the-gold strategy, betting only quinellas. One hit paid for the day.

My wife used a slightly more scientific strategy: she bet on the horse with the coolest name. I say more scientific because she crushed me most of the time. Barney Rumpleminz is a name I shall never forget. Went off at 80:1 and came from about 40 lengths down in the back stretch to win going away.

13. basicstrategy777, May 6, 2015

basicstrategy777

Barney sounds like Silky Sullivan, the greatest closer of all time. He was sumthin' else.

14. The Midnight Skulker, May 6, 2015

The Midnight Skulker

Indeed, and when relating the tale I often describe Barney's performance as "a Silky Sullivan finish. Tennis great of the not-too-distant past Dinara Safina had a similar reputation. In one match, as Safina took the court to serve, the commentator said, "Down a set and 2-5, Safina has her opponent right where she wants her!" (She won that match BTW.)

15. Onautopilot, May 6, 2015

Onautopilot

Onautopilot Member

I was about to say the first story teller doesn't stand a chance! I was at the track one day and........never mind. :)

yacraps likes this.

16. Liman

Liman Member

my bil wants me to go with him to Belmont to watch the final leg of the triple crown.
    Im not a big horse racing fan, neither is he, but he says this will be a part of horseracing history, and says it may never be done again, wouldn't you like to be their when it happens.
    oh, so, Ill have a nice admission ticket and win ticket to hang on my wall?
    Belmont is 10 minutes from my home, he has a friend who is within walking distance and we can park in his driveway because trying to get in and out of Belmont that Saturday will be total gridlock.
    thinking about it. Seems they are limiting the people they will sell tickets too this year as the last time there was a triple crown attempt a couple of years ago mass transit failed horribly and traffic was a nightmare.

if I go, Ill post a picture of a 2 dollar win ticket that I would never cash in.

yacraps and Onautopilot like this.
  17. TDVegas, May 18, 2015

TDVegas

TDVegas Member

The Preakness was a joke. 8 horses and utter slop. At least make the field 12-15 horses. This one was over before it began. The Belmont will test endurance. Hopefully a better field is presented.

yacraps likes this.
  18. basicstrategy777, May 20, 2015

basicstrategy777

Buy about 50 2 dollar win tickets....they will be worth something more than the window win.

On 5 June 2004 I drove my Vette to Belmont from CT. to watch the 3rd leg of the triple crown. I should have figured it would be a bad, bad day when I got stopped by a NY cop for running a toll booth ( he didn't give me a ticket as he saw my Vet plates)....then I see flashed on the infield screen that President Regean died.

Anyway, I buy 50 2 dollar tickets on Smarty Jones and a few exotic bets...I figure I'd make a big score on e-bay or whatever, if I hold on to triple crown winner tickets, first since Affirmed in '78'.

Friggin Birdstone.....I'll never forget that race till the day I die......friggin birdstone.

The ride home was not pleasant.......friggin' birdstone.

My advice to you is not to miss the race. It will be a tough one for him to win ; if he does, he is a great horse.

Friggin' birdstone

19. Liman

Liman Member

were still thinking about it

yacraps likes this.
  20. basicstrategy777, Jun 2, 2015

basicstrategy777

So Liman.......you going ?

yacraps likes this.