" Its Opening Day"

Discussion in 'Offtopic Lounge' started by Dave G Ct, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Dave G Ct, Apr 14, 2018

Dave G Ct

Dave G Ct Member

As in opening day of fishing season.Mw and my brother always go to the Farmington River to fish for trout.There is a contest for biggest fish in which they stock several big ones.Wading in the water and spin fishing.Caught a 14-15" brown trout this morning .Nice to get out.

2. basicstrategy777, Apr 14, 2018

basicstrategy777

Back in the day, I went fishing there as well.....breakfast of pancakes at a diner at 5...line in at 6.......I use to enjoy fishing, fresh and salt very much.....liked fresh water better. Congrats of getting a decent trout.

random_roller and yacraps like this.
  3. Dave G Ct, Apr 14, 2018

Dave G Ct

Dave G Ct Member

Thx Basic. Weather was pretty good.While we were fishing a blue heron swooped over the river and landed on a fallen tree.Fish were slow in biting.

yacraps likes this.
  4. yacraps, Apr 14, 2018

yacraps

yacraps Member

I miss fresh fish and eggs...caught in the morning 30 mins later in the pan...cook some eggs hash browns
    https://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/07/dining/07appe.html

Settingcanthurt likes this.
  5. Onautopilot, Apr 14, 2018

Onautopilot

Onautopilot Member

When I was gold prospecting, we would get up early and catch a few trout. Pan fried, eggs, and home fries! And can't forget the coffee...perked over the fire.

Up in the Sierras, sun coming up over the mountain....life was good!

6. Settingcanthurt, Apr 15, 2018

Settingcanthurt

We got a foot + of fresh snow today. The lakes up north are still making ice. Average ice out date on the lake across the street from me is April 15. I can still drive my car on it. Expecting another storm on Wednesday and again next weekend. Glad I bought new tries this october.
    The fish are going to be real hungry by time the lake opens enough to navigate it. It has been a long time since the ice has breached the shoreline. Lake opens on the north end and around the edges. Typically all the ice blows across the lake to the north end. If it gets windy enough it can breach the shoreline by 50-100 feet.
    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/ice-tsunami-video-photos-wall-ice-rises-lake-19166280

Fishing opener here is Mothers day.

7. yacraps, Apr 16, 2018

yacraps

yacraps Member

Man thats crazy mother nature can be mean sometimes

8. Settingcanthurt, Apr 16, 2018

Settingcanthurt

9. random_roller, Apr 16, 2018

random_roller

random_roller Member

Last night Chicagoland was hit by a light snowfall (1" avg. across the area). Per the weather reporter on a local tv station, the average high temperature should be upper 50s. Yeah, it won't even come close to that today. Spring is officially here, right? I mean, the Cubs are already losing, so that must be the case.

Onautopilot and yacraps like this.
  10. random_roller, Apr 16, 2018

random_roller

random_roller Member

The old saying, "A bad day on the golf course beats a good day at the office", probably applies to fishing, too. Hope you have an enjoyable season.

yacraps likes this.
  11. Settingcanthurt, Apr 18, 2018

Settingcanthurt

I was listening this morning to the Schedule and this is a record number of cold days played up here. Comment was made there are plenty of dommed places that could be played in the earlier times of the season and come up north when it gets hot.

Last snow story this year. (I hope) Destroyed the augers on the snowblower this last storm. Bit into some older frozen crusty stuff and bent them all to hell. Not the first time but i got about 6 years from the last repair I did. So Trash day on Tuesday. Putting two cans out and nowhere to put em and still use the driveway. So I was backing out and figured I would back over the pile on the end to make room for the can. Only three foot and not too big. i have done it before with the lo Dodge Durango. So I gently nudge it and the tires stary spinning. yep hung er up in my driveway.
    I can hear the neighbors chuckling. Couldn't shovel it out. Explorer wouldn't move a inch to where I had exposed asphalt. Just need to go a inch. but no. Ol neighbor who was doing some plowing pulled over. Hadn't seen in years so we caught up on some things. Hooked up our hitches and he pulls me out.. he had probably 15 stickers on the back of this ol Suburban Everything from Hillary for jail to I love my Glock. So I will see him at the next rally. Shit happens for a reason. He pushed both corners back a few feet for the trash cans. Timing is everything.

yacraps likes this.
  12. MisterInside, Apr 18, 2018

MisterInside

MisterInside Member

Ran into the local golf course owner/greenskeeper Monday at the local Walmart. I've known him for years as
    one of my sons worked a couple summers with him. Great guy and smart. He told me that this spring is the
    second worse in the last 38 years. He keeps detailed records and is talking about temperatures and revenues.
    Not surprising that the adjacent Home Depot has pallets upon pallets of mulch and more stacked throughout
    their parking lot with record amounts of lawn and garden inventory inside. We're in NE Ohio. Spring is finally
    arriving next week.

yacraps and Settingcanthurt like this.