horn high bet payout

Discussion in 'General Craps Discussion' started by Liman, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Liman

Liman Member

last night I had dinner with another craps player, young, doesn't have 40 years experience, but he does have a lot of common sense(maybe not that much because he gambles) and understands this game, and he can afford to play at green chip or higher tables.

he was telling me about an argument at a table, I didn't ask where or when, I just listened.

he said someone at a table was making horn high bets.

He didn't recall the amount the guy bet, but it was over 100 dollars.

he said the payout caused a huge argument between the player and stickman, and needed a pit boss to resolve it....he didn't hang around, he left, so he didn't know the outcome.

the thing was,(Im going to use 25 dollars as the bet for this) if someone calls out horn high yo with 25 dollars, I would think the payoff would be based on 5 dollars each bet on 2,3,12 and 10 on the 11.
    that's the way I always thought the payout would be, as I don't think I bet the horn bet more than 25 times in my life, nor do I care about it.
    would that be the payout or would the payout be based on 6 dollars each 2,3,12 and 7 dollars on 11.
    I don't think so, but that was the brunt of the disagreement, and he doesn't recall, it was a large bet

2. Bases loaded, Apr 1, 2018

Bases loaded

Bases loaded Member

The Horn Hi bets are made in incremants of 5. They cover the 4 horn numbers with the Hi designated number getting
    twice the bet amount of the other 3 numbers.

A $5 Horn Hi Aces is $1 on the 3, 11, and 12, $2 on the snake-eyes.

A $100 Horn Hi Twelve would be $20 on the 2, 3, and 11. The twelve would be $40. If the twelve hits it pays
    $40 x 30 = $1200, less the $20 bet on each of the other numbers ($60 total), a $1140 payoff.

A $25 Horn Hi Yo is as you stated, $5 on 2, 3, and 12, $10 on the yo. If the ace deuce hits it pays $75 less $20 - $55.

Some forget that the winners are decreased by the amount to keep the other numbers "up to win again".

yacraps likes this.

3. Liman

Liman Member

exactly what I always thought, but then again, I thought hey, maybe Im wrong about it, we did discuss the loss of the other 3 bets, he said it wasn't that....it was the way the stick calculated the amount on each bet.
    tough to know the truth when I wasn't there to observe myself.

yacraps likes this.
  4. DeMango, Apr 1, 2018

DeMango

DeMango Member

But if the bet was $100, it may have been booked as a straight horn at [email protected] number!

yacraps likes this.
  5. Bases loaded, Apr 1, 2018

Bases loaded

Bases loaded Member

Good point. Even though $100 is a valid amount to make a Horn Hi bet, it might be more common for a green/black chip bettor to wager $125 to get $25, $25, $25, $50 coverage on the Horn Hi bet.

yacraps likes this.

6. Liman

Liman Member

yeah, never thought about that, the stickman might have not booked the bet correctly, could have been the player or stickmans fault, busy game, a lot of noise, that sounds like something more reasonable to call in the pit on.

7. The Midnight Skulker, Apr 2, 2018

The Midnight Skulker

This might have been what happened due to table limits. Limits on props are typically lower than what is posted for other bets (unless the table limits are given in terms of maximum payout) because of their higher payout odds. This particular house may have a $25 lid on the horn numbers, making a $100 horn high anything unbookable in the traditional sense. I would have expected the stick to mention that and ask the player if he/she wanted a straight horn instead, however, though maybe the player had been so informed previously...or like the nervous bank robber said on his first job, "Freeze mother stickers, this is a fuck up."

8. yacraps, Apr 17, 2018

yacraps

yacraps Member

[email protected]#$king Midnight your the best-es :D

9. BuckShot, Apr 17, 2018

BuckShot

BuckShot Member

Keep in mind if the guy called any HORN HI number the black chip would go to it's designated area of the bet calls. If the player simply called $100 Horn (and most people call it that way) it just remains in the HORN Area.
    I've never seen a dealer mistake a horn high for just a horn bet at the tables. But i've seen many occasions where the players "Make the mistake of trying to cheat the house".

horn.jpg

yacraps likes this.