HARD 4, 6, 8 and 10: Stand Back and get out of my way!

Discussion in 'Prop Bets & Side Bets' started by SevenOut, Nov 11, 2012.

1. SevenOut, Nov 11, 2012

SevenOut

SevenOut Member

I find one of the higher house percentage bets can be the most thrilling win on the Craps Table. The Hardway Bet.

Compared to the Any Seven, the hardways are good deals! And better yet, if you have place bets/or the point with odds bet in play. I will play the hardways under my standard game. If a point can be thrown HARD, I will have at least $5 on the hard way. I play $5 pass line bets, $10 fives and nines and $12 sixes and eights after a point is established. My odds bets will increase when I have more House money in my rack to put into play. If I am working on my bankroll, I wait until I am getting back to even. I explained the way I play when a four or a ten is point on an earlier post and will not bore you further. But it is a logical progression of play.

When a number comes SOFT, the place bet pays on my Place Bet and I bring my hardway back by tossing a chip to the stickman. When it comes HARD, I take the winnings of the hard way and place bet and decide how I am going to proceed and how much do I have in HOUSE CHIPS against my initial bank roll. If I have House Chips to spare, I press my place bets, I will wait for another number to pay off and then press up my hardways and press up one multiple on my place bet to cover a potential loss if a number is thrown soft.

Dice returned to the shooter, never recall the last number. The dice do not care what their spots total, if... you talk nice to them. Back to back hardways is enough to get the table cheering... unless you are the only hardway player and the other players are getting tired of seeing you getting the long shot payoffs!

I always have my hardway bets backed by place bets, or if the point can be thrown hard. I find some games where one or more shooters are throwing hardways so often, I sometimes suspect they are using crooked dice on the table! The payoff is great at 9 or 8 to 1 and not that unusual to hit. When the dealer calls a number and says " and it came hard", I am checking the hardway bets in front of the stickman to see how much I have on that hardway.

Be very careful to watch your hardway bet being placed on YOUR SPOT of the table position. Also, be aware of the soft number causes the stick man to remove the hardway bets. You can really feel bad if you forgot to get your hardway bet back in action and it hits. Now, this can happen in a busy game and the Boxman is watching some large payout and the stickman is getting mushy headed from a long game. They sometimes do not remove the losing hardway bets. Once the dice a tossed, the chip(s) are in play and good. If you glance and your $5 bet has $10, it was their mistake and not yours by placing that chip. Take the winnings if they come your way. When you toss a hardway or any prop bet, make CERTAIN the stickman sees you and places the bet. If a bet is paying and you are missed... start asking loudly "where are my winnings?" In the confusion the stickman might get out of order and miss paying you. Just speak up before the dice are moving to the shooter. Once the shooter shoots those devils, you are pretty much out of luck.

If you payout is SHORT, and you can tell by just glancing at them sitting on the Come, speak up and point. If the payout is correct, apologize to the dealer and do not feel bad about it. But, if they are short the dealer will make good and the Boxman now is watching that dealer, very... very close. Bad dealers handling winning bets poorly will be dealing chuck a luck and filling bags of free pop corn.

If I sound windy, it is because I want every player to understand that you are important on a table. The Boxman and Floorman want happy players. Bad dealers and dealers with a nasty attitude will not remain employed. Enjoy those hot games when they occur with you playing chips on the table. And, for those of you with a sense of humor, however darkened by a bad Craps game.

We had a 14 foot table full of men players and one woman with her husband next to her. I had my hands full boxing and keeping an eye on the bets being tossed onto the table. There were probably 12 to 14 pressed against the chip racks. There was lots of hardway action with this game and she had no hardway bets. So she tosses in a $5 chip and yells to the stickman... "give me a hard one". Which he did by putting the chip on her pass line bet of 8. I still have tears in my eyes and everyone, including the gal, made the best of it and enjoyed the rest of the evening. I do not recall if the bet paid, but we all kidded her on her new game plan.

2. The Midnight Skulker, Nov 12, 2012

The Midnight Skulker

Lucky Eagle, Rochester, WA, a couple decades ago. I hit a two-way yo, 5 and 1. Pam, the stickchick, asked if I was going to keep the dealers up, and I replied affirmatively, but was going to press the bet up to green and red. Pam said, "Oh, OK. I was going to give you 69." (Lucky Eagle paid 15 for 1.) "Well, I certainly blew that opportunity!" I said, and got a few chuckles and a red face from Pam.