Guns, Hunting and Fishing

Discussion in 'Offtopic Lounge' started by MisterInside, Nov 20, 2020 at 11:16 AM.

1. MisterInside

MisterInside Member

I bought my first gun, a 9 mm S&W Shield months ago. I finally got around to firing it today. I am a city boy, wasn't raised around guns and I am not yet comfortable around them. Why did I buy it then? Couple reasons: I live 1.5 miles from a gun club. Target shooting sounds like fun. I have a lot of free time on my hands. I hunt with a crossbow and I like the outdoors. Maybe, I will get a long gun next. Finally, I don't want to be without one if laws are changed. I live in the safest, friendliest town in America. Personal defense is not a consideration. I have no interest in getting a CCW permit.

Like everything in life, target shooting from 10' is a helluva lot harder than it looks. I took 8 shots, all were below the horizontal axis. 4 were in the black, 1 green, 3 white. If you guys have any tips, I'd sure appreciate hearing them. I am shooting again on Tuesday and I'd like to get 2/3rds in the black from 10 feet. Obviously, I am not ready to lengthen the target distance. I want to play with my technique over the weekend.

upload_2020-11-20_14-15-32.png

yacraps likes this.

2. badddoin

badddoin Member

I think the best advice I ever received was to "squeeze the trigger, not pull it." The other part was, "squeeze it slowly and steadily maintaining your target. If you're doing it properly, the shot will surprise you." I heard that probably 40 years ago, and I'm still not sure exactly what it means, but when I concentrate on the steady squeeze, I seem to do better.

More than anything, though, I'd recommend rounds and more rounds. Try to fire a couple hundred rounds through it if you can. Become well acquainted with the gun.

If it turns out that you do enjoy it, you might consider getting a .22. The ammo is plenty cheaper. I had a Ruger Mark-III .22LR when I was a kid, and I loved it.

Have fun. And never lose sight of your responsibility.

MisterInside likes this.

3. MisterInside

MisterInside Member

I think that trigger advice will make a big difference. I’ll practice that this weekend. No substitute for practice. Thanks.

4. Dave G Ct

Dave G Ct Member

What about a shotgun? Can shoot skeet or trap not to mention hunting. With a rifle you of course need a larger course.

MisterInside likes this.

5. MisterInside

MisterInside Member

Yea, I was thinking about that. Maybe after I get decent with the handgun.

6. Settingcanthurt, Nov 21, 2020 at 1:33 PM

Settingcanthurt

I think it may have been a MK II. The MK III has not been out that long. Good advice on the 22 acquisition for economy alone. S&W has a 22 M&P which is very much like your 9mm M&P.
    Its price is just north of $400. They can be found for around $350 if you look hard.
    Ruger has a 22, SR22. I love mine because it's so damn accurate. Its less then the S&W with no drawbacks and can come with a threaded barrel.

On shooting, know which is your dominate eye. Also the grip should be firm but not tight. Two handed with your weak side holding the trigger hand. Both thumbs together pointing towards the target. Outside hand holds the inside firmly. Exhale slowly as you pull the trigger. Ignore the recoil. Good ear protection helps to ignore the shot. All this and more I still shoot like shit on a target.
    Target is small and shooting 15-18 feet expecting bulls eyes is only for the gifted. This Hollywood crap is exactly that.

yacraps likes this.
  7. Settingcanthurt, Nov 21, 2020 at 1:36 PM

Settingcanthurt

Actually your target is decent. Not all bullets are created equal. There will always be flyers. Move the target out a bit longer.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 6:54 PM
    yacraps likes this.

8. Dave G Ct

Dave G Ct Member

When it comes to shotguns you have a lot of choices.Europeans favor the double barrel shotgun.Here pumps and automatics are popular .Twelve guage most popular. I had an Ithaca pump which was lightweight. Lot of good guns out there.

yacraps likes this.
  9. Settingcanthurt, Nov 21, 2020 at 7:02 PM

Settingcanthurt

One more thing. Join the NRA. It is the oldest and largest civil right organization in the country. possibly the world.
    In spite of all the bad press(fake news) It is doing more for the American citizen then any other organization on the planet.

yacraps likes this.

10. MisterInside

MisterInside Member

I am a member now. I joined the Wadsworth Hunt Club and a NRA subscription comes with membership. I just received the December American Hunter mag. Check out page 33. Duck calls. No girlie pics. You are doing just fine in that regard.

yacraps likes this.
  11. Settingcanthurt, Nov 21, 2020 at 7:17 PM

Settingcanthurt

Is it a outdoor club? What ranges do they have?

yacraps likes this.

12. MisterInside

MisterInside Member

All outdoor. Pistol range has 5 spots. I guess that rifle is about the same. 425 members. There’s an archery range too.

I just joined it in August. Only 1.5 miles from my home. On the application, they ask if you would volunteer for some activities and I put that I had a business and accounting background. The current Treasurer of the club called me and asked me to become the new club Treasurer. I laughed and explained that I know nothing about guns and hunting. He asked me if I know Excel. I said yes. I met with him on Thursday and went over the club reports and accepted the job in exchange for free gun tips, free dues, a place to hunt (when that time comes). With the Treasurer job comes a seat on the Board. Ain’t that a hoot!

yacraps and Settingcanthurt like this.
  13. lone irish digit, Nov 21, 2020 at 7:50 PM

lone irish digit

This is Barney

Sounds like a deep state plant

yacraps, MisterInside and Mssthis1 like this.

14. MisterInside

MisterInside Member

With a gun too.

I think that the Board has to approve me.

Anybody have that Dominion phone number handy?

yacraps and Settingcanthurt like this.
  15. Settingcanthurt, Nov 21, 2020 at 8:10 PM

Settingcanthurt

I invite you to come to see our range. Been in existence since the 1940's. Some of the organization would be helpful. It too is a 1.5 from me. Outdoor. Shotgun we have Trap, Skeet, & 5 stand.. Our 5 stand has 12 stations. A 100 yard Rifle range. A 50 yd and a 25 yrd. All volunteer positions. Low entry and low dues gets you a card to use to open the gates.
    I am a range officer and I do my volunteer time (required 8 hrs) on one of the three ranges mostly.
    Shotgun is another room to go into. It's just different.
    We support most all the local Law Enforcement with free time when they need it. A few times a month. We have various leagues which are again volunteer leadership mostly. We do a CCW class whenever it has enough interest. Our membership is around 700.
    If you can do the Treasurer great. Politics will set in as it does in any organization. Just know that.

yacraps likes this.
  16. Settingcanthurt, Nov 21, 2020 at 8:15 PM

Settingcanthurt

Must be a succulent.

yacraps likes this.

17. yacraps

yacraps Member

18. twodicebilly

twodicebilly Member

misterinside

When i was a kid my dad had a gun shop and i helped some but never
    learned what i could have.

I do remember a couple of things that i have used over time to help others.

1...bore sight your gun
    2 start at 50 yards
    3 dont worry about where you are hitting the target, your shooting for a grouping
    of shots, when you have that adjust your sights to where your are hitting, then
    you have a starting point from which you can practice.

good luck

TDB

yacraps and MisterInside like this.