Floyd Mayweather Jr. versus Manny Pacquiao: A Prediction

Discussion in 'Offtopic Lounge' started by FrankScoblete, Apr 22, 2015.

1. FrankScoblete, Apr 22, 2015

FrankScoblete

FrankScoblete Member

A word of caution to my gambling friends. I am not betting on the Floyd Mayweather Jr. versus Manny Pacquiao fight. My boxing betting ended when I bet Muhammad Ali to beat George Forman. I had won three fights up to then (including Foreman/Frazier) in total but I knew I was no boxing handicapper.

I quit when I was ahead in other words.

So take what I am about to say with a grain of whatever grains you enjoy eating.

If the fight actually happens and isn’t cancelled because of non-tickets being available to the fans or some injury to one or the other or both fighters, Pacquiao will win, perhaps by stoppage (more than likely Mayweather quitting on his stool) and this is why:

I am taking a very narrow view here; a one fight view. At his peak Mayweather had a hell of a time with Oscar De La Hoya and many ringsiders thought Oscar won that fight. Even Floyd’s father thought De La Hoya won the fight. This was when Floyd was at his absolute best, better than he is now.

So how did De La Hoya do against Pacquiao? Manny Pacquiao destroyed him. Not only wasn’t the fight close, it was an eighth round TKO disaster for Oscar.

Given that single fight, I think we will see a spirited contest until Mayweather realizes he can’t win and quits.

Yes, indeed, there are other common opponents that both men have faced but I think the De La Hoya fight is the defining one.

Again, don’t bet it; just enjoy it.

2. KokomoJoe4, Apr 22, 2015

KokomoJoe4

KokomoJoe4 Member

Good advice and also think that Frank has selected the winner to-be.

3. Pressit, Apr 22, 2015

Pressit

Pressit Member

First Ali-Spinks fight did it for me.

4. KokomoJoe4, Apr 22, 2015

KokomoJoe4

KokomoJoe4 Member

Speaking of great fights, remember the Sugar Ray vs. Tommy Hearns fight at Caesars?

Probably the best one I've seen, unfortunately not in person, but rather getting drunk as a skunk in some bar as a 21 yr old with a couple of buddies who were cops.

Seem to remember a late round TKO victory by Leonard, but Hearns was really taking it to him most of the fight, and would have won had the fight not been stopped.

5. DeMango, Apr 22, 2015

DeMango

DeMango Member

Me? I want to see the Captain vs The Mad Professor.

yacraps likes this.

6. Liman

Liman Member

my apologies to frank scoblete, I don't want to cause thread drift, but when I read this before, it was weird timing.
    My brother and me were just talking on the phone about all the art we sold off when my mother passed, and we were discussing the Leroy neiman serigraph foreman-frazier in particular, because out of all the Leroy neiman stuff we gave on consignment, the art gallery could not locate foreman frazier after 2 years, and had no records of it being sold so they had to pay us full price(which was 50% of retail)

my stepfather had good intentions, bury money in art and stamps, yeah, didn't turn out too well for them. If they would have purchased all the run down abandon factories in the depressed areas where he grew up, Id be living on my own island today.

7. Onautopilot, Apr 22, 2015

Onautopilot

Onautopilot Member

Love the "If only" stories. If I had of only kept half the houses I use to own in southern California, I would have been the one to sell you that island you would have been living on. :)

8. Liman

Liman Member

he was a child of the depression, hide all your wealth in your mattress.
    shame, he lost a forture in stamps and art.

9. basicstrategy777, Apr 23, 2015

basicstrategy777

" All my wives were great housekeepers......after the divorce they kept the house."

yacraps likes this.
  10. TDVegas, Apr 23, 2015

TDVegas

TDVegas Member

I can't stand Mayweather...but I don't think Manny has a snowballs chance to win.
    The ticket sales are beyond a screw-up. Each fighter gets 5,000 tickets. MGM keeps 6,000 and a measely 1,000 tickets are sold at box office. What this means is that both fighters will give out tickets to all their flunkies and a huge portion will be sold to scalpers. Same for MGM insiders selling to the scalpers. I've never seen a more crooked allocation of tickets.

11. FrankScoblete, Apr 23, 2015

FrankScoblete

FrankScoblete Member

Mayweather's camp called the shots. I hope you are wrong about the fight because I agree with you about Mayweather.

12. Pressit, Apr 23, 2015

Pressit

Pressit Member

But the big payday, and the only one they care about, is pay per-view. Neither camp will go home a loser.

13. Pressit, Apr 23, 2015

Pressit

Pressit Member

Well you still have Detroit to make that dream come true.

14. random_roller, May 5, 2015

random_roller

random_roller Member

As a candidate (at times) for the "Procrastinator's Club", I hereby offer my prediction that Mayweather will win the fight by decision.