Finally... building my table!!

Discussion in 'General Craps Discussion' started by 7DOWN11, Jul 23, 2014.

1. 7DOWN11, Sep 11, 2014

7DOWN11

7DOWN11 Member

Well after going to my local and throwing some dice I was a bit shocked. I was shocked for one, how the dice bounced. Bounced like jumping beans. I actually hated how the dice reacted as I had been practicing with dice on my table that was much harder, and almost no "bounce". So once I saw this, I came back, did some searching, even posted a threadt on Axis that Heavy answered and fininally after a few days of trial and error I think I got it. I had some left over 1/2 birch and cut some ends just to try different materials amd configurations. I ended up with just using 1/4" closed cell foam, used 3-M 77 spray adhesive and the results are extremely close to my local for what I can remember. I will go over a video me roll a bit then come back and use the same shooting position and video that as well and see how they compare. I might need to go with 1/8" as I'm think the 1/4" is a bit "too" bouncy. Once I get this figured out I will get back to finishing the rails and padding and wrapping the rails.

2. The Comeback Kid, Sep 11, 2014

The Comeback Kid

You're approach has merit 7Down, until you encounter a hard(er), less bouncy table, alla the Caesar properties.

Although the perfectionist in you may say, Nay Nay, consider spiting the table: 1/2 hard - 1/2 bouncy. After all, for practice you only need 1/2 a table.

Also on those trampoline type table conditions consider the "ice pick" grip with a low arch keeping the dice in the center. Getting the dice to bounce right back rather than shoot out to left/right field, will also keep you rolling longer.

There's no right or wrong except what works for you, "but the more weapons you go to battle with - the better". Gen George Patton, I believe.

3. basicstrategy777, Sep 11, 2014

basicstrategy777

Big good always beats small good.

4. 7DOWN11, Sep 14, 2014

7DOWN11

7DOWN11 Member

So after buying several types of foam and other materials including vinyl, RAM Board, flannel, another felt, four different types of foam and thicknesses. Here is what I came up with that very closely matches the same dice action as my local Hollywood tables. I actually picked it up at my local Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/FloorMuf...m-Underlayment-0264049/204077418?N=5yc1vZbejl

It is a closed cell foam product that is 1/12" thick x 48" wide by 25ft long (roll) and it does the trick! I put 1 layer on one end and 2 layers on the other end. Same idea as what Big Ben did with his table. The end with 2 layers gives me the closest dice action I've came up with, same sound when the dice land, same bouncy action etc., compared with what I see at my local Hollywood. I went to Hollywood yesterday and video tapes some rolls at a table, and then came back and did several setups until I finally got the configuration that I feel is as close as I'll get it. I ended up with one end with a single layer (1/12"), and the other end with two layers (1/6"). If you are going to use spray adhesive to make a permanent installation of the foam vs. just laying the foam lose under the felt. I has a lot of trial and error doing some tests and here is my advice: DO NOT use to much of the spray adhesive, and the best one I found for "my" application and needs was the 3-M 77 product. Nothing else worked on any of my tests. Use only enough to get the surface tacky where it will just hold down the material, get two people to put the foam down, one person to hold the foam up so it doesn't accidently make contact until you want it to, and the other person to align and work out the air pockets. I had some really bad results on some of my tests when I used too much spray adhesive and when I tried to do it by my self. I used several spray products including other 3M products. But only a light application of the 3M 77 worked. You will also notice I have now switched over to my new felt with the Fire Bet option!

Attached Files:

5. 7DOWN11, Sep 14, 2014

7DOWN11

7DOWN11 Member

Photo set #2:

Attached Files:

6. BigBen, Sep 14, 2014

BigBen

BigBen Member

NICE!!!

7. 7DOWN11, Sep 17, 2014

7DOWN11

7DOWN11 Member

OK... While I'm still working on my current table build, I'm needing to disassemble and reassemble it quite often to complete what work is left. So I decided to buy a used table. I bought a very nice, great condition used 12' table. It's just like the tables in my local Hollywood, ad the Horseshoe in Cincinnati. This table has the exact same crazy bounce like the local tables do. In fact it looks exactly like the tables in my local, the only difference I noticed as the vinyl wrap is black but my locals tables are beige. It has a new felt and new, re-wrapped padded foam rests, also comes with quite a few accessories such as the locking wood and glass chip cover, dice, stick etc. I take delivery on Saturday. This way I can use the table and not be interrupted from practice while working on the one I'm building! Here are a few photos of the table!

Attached Files:

• TB1.jpg
      TB1.jpg
      File size:
      31 KB
      Views:
    • TB2.jpg
      TB2.jpg
      File size:
      32 KB
      Views:
    • TB3.jpg