End Times

Discussion in 'Offtopic Lounge' started by Twelve4s, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Twelve4s, Jan 6, 2017

Twelve4s

Twelve4s Member

2. basicstrategy777, Jan 6, 2017

basicstrategy777

Computers at huuge disadvantage. Can't hear the voices. Humans will kck ass and take names. No problemo. Trust me.

yacraps likes this.
  3. The Midnight Skulker, Jan 6, 2017

The Midnight Skulker

Chess and Go are games of perfect information. Each side knows with certainty everything there is to know about the current situation. Hence the side with the better algorithm for choosing the optimum strategy and moves will prevail.

Jeopardy is a game of knowledge. The side with the greater quantity of knowledge and the ability to access that knowledge faster than the opponents will prevail. Computers can surely store more facts and access them more quickly than individual humans can, so I imagine the main problem was voice recognition. The words in the answer could then be looked up in the knowledge base and the entry therein with the most matches would probably be the correct question.

Poker is a game of imperfect information. The random element does make for uncertainty, but the real difference is that the different sides know things that the other side does not, namely their concealed cards. Human players attempt to divine what their opponents' concealed cards are through tells and betting patterns. A computer might be able to detect physical tells if it were literally playing face-to-face. (I saw a demonstration where a computer could win every round of rock-paper-scissors against a human opponent by "seeing" its opponent's hand and recognizing what it was about to form a few milliseconds before deciding what its move would be.) Without seeing and hearing its opponent I doubt a computer can "learn" when a bet is made from strength, from weakness (i.e. a bluff), or from somewhere in between, providing of course the human player does not always do the same thing in a given situation.

yacraps and Twelve4s like this.
  4. Twelve4s, Jan 6, 2017

Twelve4s

Twelve4s Member

Do you remember Hal?

yacraps likes this.
  5. Twelve4s, Jan 6, 2017

Twelve4s

Twelve4s Member

If I lived close to Rivers, I would go watch.

6. basicstrategy777, Jan 6, 2017

basicstrategy777

I do.....and I remember his death song.

yacraps likes this.
  7. Twelve4s, Jan 6, 2017

Twelve4s

Twelve4s Member

[HAL's shutdown]

HAL: I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid. Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January 1992. My instructor was Mr. Langley, and he taught me to sing a song. If you'd like to hear it I can sing it for you.

Dave Bowman: Yes, I'd like to hear it, HAL. Sing it for me.

HAL: It's called "Daisy."

[sings while slowing down]

HAL: Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. I'm half crazy all for the love of you. It won't be a stylish marriage, I can't afford a carriage. But you'll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two.

yacraps likes this.
  8. basicstrategy777, Jan 6, 2017

basicstrategy777

A non-human dying......that was pretty good, clever and effective.

yacraps likes this.
  9. dicepunk, Jan 8, 2017

dicepunk

dicepunk Member

10. Onautopilot, Jan 8, 2017

Onautopilot

Onautopilot Member

It would be interesting to see all the parameters and rules of the tournament.

With the number of hands required by the computer guys, I wonder how the game is sustained for the length of time necessary for that to occur. Are there multiple buy ins, etc.?

yacraps likes this.