Craps Table of a different type

Discussion in 'Beginner Zone' started by KokomoJoe4, Dec 9, 2014.

  1. KokomoJoe4, Feb 25, 2017

    KokomoJoe4

    KokomoJoe4 Member

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2013
    Messages:
    4,894
    Likes Received:
    2,655
    Location:
    Cranberry Twp, PA
    Pushing this old thread of mine back to the top hoping to show those interested that in fact the "math" of the game defines it as negative, with some bets definitely "better" than others.

    One thing that perhaps is not obvious about the'Table of the Game' is that the "Win probability with number rolled vs, Seven out" (Column 2) defines statistics that apply only during the come out roll, so that Craps numbers give zero win probability and Naturals are guaranteed winners.

    This is corrected for in column 3, the probability that a number is rolled.

    This probability, and the way it relates to the same probability for the seven, defines the odds of the numbers in the game.

    Now think about this. A naked pass or come bet, without odds is 49.3% likely to win. Logically, these bets are 50.7% likely to lose.

    Because with place bets there is no opportunity for a come out winner, percentages are:

    3 out of 9 = 33.3% likely winner on the outsides, 66.7% loser

    4 out of 10 = 40.0% likely winner on the odds, 60.0% loser, and

    5 out of 11 = 45.5% likely winner on the insides, 54.5% loser.

    All such wagers are significantly worse than the contracts, mathematically speaking. Their benefit involves the non-contracted nature of the bet.

    I am not much of a place bettor. To those who are: is the benefit worth the mathematical disadvantage?
     
    #21
    yacraps and Onautopilot like this.
  2. TDVegas, Feb 25, 2017

    TDVegas

    TDVegas Member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2014
    Messages:
    11,386
    Likes Received:
    4,381
    Call it what you will...a pass +2 come bets gives me opportunity to weather a bunch of early 7 outs and hope it turns.

    The place bettor doesn't get that chance. He's burned the wad....or at the very least is deep in the hole.

    I have no issue with either play....just pointing out where it helps and hurts.
     
    #22
  3. Onautopilot, Feb 25, 2017

    Onautopilot

    Onautopilot Member

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2015
    Messages:
    8,883
    Likes Received:
    5,666
    Gender:
    Male
    This is basically my conservative go to game. But instead of opting for odds on the pass and come bets, I usually just go for parlays on first wins.

    Using a very conservative negative progression, one needs just a little luck to enjoy a nice winning percentage for multiple play sessions.

    Of course the win goal is rather small compared to bankroll commitment, but I enjoy winning sessions. :)
     
    #23
    yacraps likes this.
  4. von duck, Jul 15, 2017

    von duck

    von duck Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2017
    Messages:
    3,234
    Likes Received:
    921
    Gender:
    Male
    NO! ! ! If you win 49.3 and lose 50.7 the difference is 1.40.
     
    #24
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  5. basicstrategy777, Jul 15, 2017

    basicstrategy777

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2010
    Messages:
    6,884
    Likes Received:
    4,000
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    CT.
    You're decimals are in the wrong place but that's OK, we know what you meant. ( If it was me, those math types would rip me a new one, starting with mid-nite ).

    QUIZ:..... The odds of winning on the PL is .492929 ; since the odds for successfully making a pass are slightly less than even, it logically follows that the odds for not making a pass are slightly better than even. i.e. .507070

    Casino's cannot offer a bet that mathematically favors the player.

    .507070 favors the player playing this side.

    How can this be ?

    777
     
    #25
  6. von duck, Jul 15, 2017

    von duck

    von duck Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2017
    Messages:
    3,234
    Likes Received:
    921
    Gender:
    Male
    The decimals were ok, the numbers were the PL wins & loses for 100 come outs, trying to show TD , that it is the difference between the two that make the about 1.4 % disadvantage.
     
    #26
  7. von duck, Jul 15, 2017

    von duck

    von duck Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2017
    Messages:
    3,234
    Likes Received:
    921
    Gender:
    Male
    I need to start checking the dates before I reply to shit.
     
    #27
  8. Settingcanthurt, Jul 15, 2017

    Settingcanthurt

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2015
    Messages:
    3,858
    Likes Received:
    1,807
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Flyover below the tundra
    I was gonna say you bored or what? Resurrecting old posts can sometimes open scabby wounds.
     
    #28
  9. DeMango, Jul 15, 2017

    DeMango

    DeMango Member

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2010
    Messages:
    3,790
    Likes Received:
    877
    Gender:
    Male
    Hey! The come bet is a bad bet!
    Hey! Pass line sucks!

    Carry on.....
     
    #29
  10. basicstrategy777, Jul 16, 2017

    basicstrategy777

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2010
    Messages:
    6,884
    Likes Received:
    4,000
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    CT.
    The word "Decimal" really means "based on 10" (From Latin decima: a tenth part).

    777
     
    #30
  11. von duck, Jul 16, 2017

    von duck

    von duck Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2017
    Messages:
    3,234
    Likes Received:
    921
    Gender:
    Male
    The numbers represent percentages, which means, based on 100.
     
    #31
  12. Onautopilot, Jul 16, 2017

    Onautopilot

    Onautopilot Member

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2015
    Messages:
    8,883
    Likes Received:
    5,666
    Gender:
    Male
    As long as everything adds up to "1", you are in the ballpark. :)
     
    #32
  13. Onautopilot, Jul 16, 2017

    Onautopilot

    Onautopilot Member

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2015
    Messages:
    8,883
    Likes Received:
    5,666
    Gender:
    Male
    Yea, them Hindus and Arabs were fairly smart critters....then they Greeks came along and gave the stuff "names". :)
     
    #33
  14. KokomoJoe4, Oct 27, 2017

    KokomoJoe4

    KokomoJoe4 Member

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2013
    Messages:
    4,894
    Likes Received:
    2,655
    Location:
    Cranberry Twp, PA
    A good Q that we know you know the answer to 777. You wrote THE book on the game. OK, maybe not THE book, but certainly a very good book.

    Answer:

    The 50.7% player advantage playing the Don't result occurs only in our minds, not at the table.

    IF the house paid us on the DP and DC when we see come out [6][6], then the game WOULD be at our advantage.

    Since by the rules of the game they do not pay us but call it a push, the Don't bettor is screwed out of 1/2 of 1/36 = 1/72 advantage, so this 1/72 becomes - 1/72, which unfortunately equals -1.39% or -1.4%.

    So subtracting this out of the 50.7, we get 49.3% advanatge. :confused:
     
    #34
    basicstrategy777 likes this.
  15. basicstrategy777, Oct 28, 2017

    basicstrategy777

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2010
    Messages:
    6,884
    Likes Received:
    4,000
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    CT.


    Excellent Koko...excellent. If I were the gold star dispenser I would dispense TWO to you.

    The push is the key.

    The Don't Pass, dispite not being paid on 25% of all craps , is the fairest bet of any in which the house has an edge.

    I appreciate your kind words about my book.

    I think it would make a wonderful Christmas present for those newer players and those that want to learn all about the game.

    777
     
    #35
  16. betwthelines, Oct 28, 2017

    betwthelines

    betwthelines Member

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2012
    Messages:
    2,002
    Likes Received:
    1,351
    i second that

    tom p
     
    #36
    basicstrategy777 likes this.
  17. basicstrategy777, Oct 28, 2017

    basicstrategy777

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2010
    Messages:
    6,884
    Likes Received:
    4,000
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    CT.
    Thanks tom p....I appreciate it, especially coming from you.

    777
     
    #37
  18. gargoil, Oct 28, 2017

    gargoil

    gargoil Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2013
    Messages:
    1,146
    Likes Received:
    546
    So a question then to you and B777. What if you place a box cars bet on the come out along with your DP / DC. What is your opinion on the long run. Will you come out ahead or behind on this particular play? I don't know what the math / probabilities are.

    Thanks
     
    #38
  19. basicstrategy777, Oct 28, 2017

    basicstrategy777

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2010
    Messages:
    6,884
    Likes Received:
    4,000
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    CT.
    Whenever you are talking long run.....the math says you will lose.

    There is a reason they call it a negative expectation game.

    777
     
    #39
    James Hall likes this.
  20. gargoil, Oct 28, 2017

    gargoil

    gargoil Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2013
    Messages:
    1,146
    Likes Received:
    546
    Yep. What I thought... Thanks
     
    #40