Clean vintage craps felt?

Discussion in 'Offtopic Lounge' started by exnooyorka, Aug 3, 2012.

1. exnooyorka, Aug 3, 2012

exnooyorka

exnooyorka Member

I just got a vintage craps felt.

I'd like to clean it but want to be sure I don't destroy it in the process. I am pretty sure it's made of wool felt.

Has anyone ever tried to clean a craps felt and, if so, any tips you can share?

Thanks!

2. SevenOut, Nov 15, 2012

SevenOut

SevenOut Member

I would take it in and dry cleaned. The design is silk screened and should hold up... If they can dry clean curtains... they can keep from damaging your layout. Take a few threads from the edge, strike a match and smell the smoke. Wool will stink. If you are not sure what wool smells like when burning, cut a few hairs off of your head and light 'em up.

You can also call a billiard pool table company and get their advice.

The older Craps layouts are really... thin. The newer ones are much heavier. Since they dry clean by weight, you might check it out after the first run through... try whining a bit if it is not totally clean and they might run it through for free a second time or a better price. Best if they do the work on site, rather than being a satellite shop with no facilities of any kind.

Good luck.

3. rudeboy99, Jul 8, 2013

rudeboy99

rudeboy99 Member

Yeah, dry cleaning, or else carpet shampooer (real gentle). On a pool table if the felt gets grody, it's torn out and replaced. Curtain or drapery cleaning services? If I'm not being overly nosy, could you tell us where it originated from?