BUAHAHAHA!

Discussion in 'Offtopic Lounge' started by crispcem, May 19, 2019.

1. crispcem, May 19, 2019

crispcem

crispcem Member

Ahhh the problems of the rich....
    This would be epic, missed seeing this in the last few days...
    Maximum Security owner offers $20 million challenge for Kentucky Derby rematch
    Stephen Edelson, Asbury Park Press
    Updated 4:54 p.m. ET May 17, 2019

While the racing world focuses on the second leg of the Triple Crown with Saturday's running of the 144th Preakness Stakes at Pimlico, Maximum Security owner Gary West refuses to move on past the Kentucky Derby.

Nearly two weeks after Maximum Security was disaqualified after winning the Run for the Roses, West has offered to put up $20 million of his own money to the owners of Country House, the runner-up who was elevated to the top spot after Maximus Security was dropped to 17th, War of Will, Long Range Toddy and Bodexpress, if any of those horses finish ahead of Maximum Security the next time any of them in a race against him through the end of the year.

A statement said: ``West believes his offer of $5 million apiece to each of those four horses – simply for finishing ahead of Maximum Security – would result in record viewership and would generate worldwide interest.
    ``If all five horses meet in the same race it would potentially create the most lucrative race in the world.''

Here's the catch.

To participate, any owners interested must put of $5 million of their own money.

Now, as crazy as all this sounds, it looms as a potnetial windfall for the $1 million TVG.com Haskell Invitational at Monmouth Park on July 20. Maximum Security has settled into the Monmouth Park barn of trainer Jason Servis, returning to the track to jog on Thursday.

Assuming Maximum Security doesn't run in the Belmont Stakes on June 8, his next start could come in the Haskell.

The statement notes that West said, ``his offer and the results of this “match race within a race” have no bearing and nothing to do with his horse’s disqualification in the Kentucky Derby. He is willing to stipulate to that publicly, contending that the outcome of the Kentucky Derby is a completely separate issue and event,'' later noting that his ``intention with this opportunity and challenge is simply to generate additional interest in the sport.''

There are no restrictions as to the type of race, what racetrack it is held at or the distance or track surface. West will give the owners of Country House, War of Will, placed sevent, Bodexpress, placed 13th, and Long Range Toddy, placed 16th, $5 million apiece if they finish ahead of Maximum Security the next time they meet in a race.

West said if any of the other owners are not as confident in their horses as he is in Maximum Security he would extend the same terms and conditions for the connections of Country House, War of Will, Bodexpress and Long Range Toddy to put up $1.86 million, the exact winner's share of the Kentucky Derby, instead.

On the positive side, West will donate 100 percent Maximum Security’s winnings from this challenge, up to $20 million, to the Permanently Disabled Jockey’s Fund.

basicstrategy777 and yacraps like this.
  2. basicstrategy777, May 20, 2019

basicstrategy777

Holy Moly....I like it.

yacraps likes this.
  3. crispcem, May 20, 2019

crispcem

crispcem Member

Frankly, I do too. In a world where "put yer money where yer mouth is" is being driven out of existence - cuz toxic masculinity - I find this a refreshing way of reclaiming one's honor. Hell yeah. Owners got a right to have a beef and seek redress through some civil smack talk and challenging in public. I think I've only paid once for a pay per view fight - I would totally pay $ to watch these ponies duke it out once and for all.

yacraps likes this.