Beginner needs advice on practicing Place Betting

Discussion in 'Beginner Zone' started by JCinPA, May 20, 2019.

1. twodicebilly, May 21, 2019

twodicebilly

twodicebilly Member

JC

The only way I would ever use come bets as a new player with a limited bankroll
    is to place single unit come and dont come bet on roll 4 of the hand, and a single unit
    come and dont come on roll 5....so far you have zero money at risk and you are playing
    the game....On roll 6 if it is a box number I will place single odds on each. If I hit one
    of the come bets I come back with a single come bet only and when that goes up on
    a number you place double odds. If the hand continues you can spread to 3 come
    bets...
    Now to be honest you wont make any real money like this, but then again you wont lose
    any real money either. In the meantime you are learning the game.

The problem with just using come bet only at first is they drag you into extending your
    bankroll....$5 pass line double odds, two come bets double odds and your at $45
    and you need a buy of $450 or more to play like that.

Better yet place a $6 6 & 8 and you only need a buy in of $120.

TDB

2. basicstrategy777, May 21, 2019

basicstrategy777

Place=You only lose 12 dollars on the second roll.......with one come bet....you lose nothing on the second roll......Place=.on the third roll you lose 12 dollars......come= on the third roll you lose 5 dollars............

remember the purpose of what you are doing..

if you only place the 6...all you need is a 60 dollar session stake....

yacraps and HornHighBLEVE like this.
  3. JCinPA, May 21, 2019

JCinPA

JCinPA Member

I did not understand that at all. Can you talk in small words for me? Thanks! :D

yacraps likes this.
  4. The Midnight Skulker, May 21, 2019

The Midnight Skulker

As you have figured out, the less you have at risk the less you are expected to win/lose and the less bankroll volatility you will have. As Kokomojoe4 pointed out, "it is to the players advantage to make as few wagers as possible," but if you're too scared to play then you're probably in the wrong place. The obvious trick, then, is to balance the thrill of the potential victory with the agony of the potential defeat. One way to do this is to adopt a strategy of getting your initial investment off the table ASAP so you're playing with "house money", and because place bets pay better than even money all you need to do is "same bet" the first hit to guarantee coming out ahead on that particular number.

What I do when using this strategy is run a delayed winning progression as follows:
    Starting bet: 1 unit
    After win #1: 1 unit
    After win #2: 2 units
    After win #3: 2 units
    After win #4: 3 or 4 units
    After win #5: 4 units​
    Of course the actual progression can be tailored to taste, and additional numbers can be placed and progressed similarly at any time including at the beginning (e.g. placing both 6 and 8 and progressing them separately).

When using this strategy with multiple numbers -- I try to get up on four numbers -- it can be difficult to keep track of when to take and when to press. I solve this problem by using chips placed flat, not on edge, in my rack "pointing" in the direction the payoff from the next win should go. (Chips are pointed by tilting them either towards me or towards the felt.) When I am on four numbers I have four such chips side by side corresponding left to right to the numbers I have. After each win I simply "point" the appropriate chip in the direction opposite to the previous one. Rack too full to use this technique? I have every confidence I'll be able to think of something if that ever happens. ;)

What Basic Sevens suggested is known as going down and back. If you're going to change the amount (e.g. taking a $5 come bet on 8 that won up to a $6 place 8) you would tell the dealer, "I'll go down and back for 6."

This technique, known as doey/don't, is not a bad idea, particularly since you (JCinPA) have stated a desire to shrink variance. Recognize, however, that "so far you have zero money at risk" is not strictly true, for the bar number loses the Pass/Come while only pushing the DP/DC.

It also just occurred to me that if you get to the take/lay odds phase you can continue to hedge by taking odds on one number and laying them on the other. Shooter must pick off your Don't before whiffing to beat you (assuming appropriate odds amounts), and if one of your bets wins you can remove the odds on the other one to guarantee a profit on the play. Considering the source I'm embarrassed to admit I am actually starting to like this idea.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  5. JCinPA, May 21, 2019

JCinPA

JCinPA Member

Thanks much, MS, I can use some of that for sure.

yacraps and Mssthis1 like this.
  6. lone irish digit, May 21, 2019

lone irish digit

This is Barney

Considering tone of recent threads, Eustace saw part of title of this thread and got mostest excited. He thought it said "Beginner needs advise on taking it in the ass." Go figure.
    "

Mssthis1 likes this.
  7. von duck, May 21, 2019

von duck

von duck Member

I think FrebP should field this one, hey msPee, tutoring job for you. :)

8. basicstrategy777, May 21, 2019

basicstrategy777

You are on the PL and you have a come-out roll......point is 4.......you put a chip in the come box.......7 is tossed.....you lose the PL bet and win the come bet....you've lost nothing.......the guy that placed the 6 and 8 for 6 each has lost 12 dollars.......go thru the come box a few more times .....a 7 shows and you will lose some but will win the come bet when the 7 shows......if you don't take odds at these early times your losses are kept down......there will be a point when you should take odds as you are there to gamble and to have come bets out there with no odds all the time is not the right play IMHO......if you did not get knocked out early you might be at the beginning of a good hand...maybe............at least you didn't lose your ass up front like so many of these players that bet PL 3 times odds, place the 6 and 8 for 18 each........and get hit with a quick 7.....and it happens 2,3,4 times in a row and more.......figure how much they are down, real, real quick.............remember this...you can't make it happen....it must come to you.

9. HornHiYo, May 21, 2019

HornHiYo

HornHiYo Member

That's a good system for staying afloat for a long time while waiting for positive variation. I use it and often see many faces come and go long before an upward drift comes along. Playing green or splashing some black action can add a few more bucks even during the grind and fetches nice comps.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    yacraps and Mssthis1 like this.
  10. basicstrategy777, May 22, 2019

basicstrategy777

Oh...I almost forgot.....there is a good book for beginning players you might be interested in....PM me if you would like some particulars......777

yacraps likes this.
  11. JCinPA, May 22, 2019

JCinPA

JCinPA Member

This is awesome! Thanks 777! I got smashed last night doing EXACTLY what you said NOT to do here. Showed up on a hot table was up maybe $50-75 (I didn’t count it and didn’t have the presence of mind to skim it into my pocket), then went straight down to zero (from $270) inside of an hour. This makes perfect sense. I was on a $5 table taking 3x odds and placing the 6/8 and got murdered. Just playing the $5 flat PL bets would have kept me alive for a long time and I’d either have likely caught another streak or I’d have left the table with half my money. Either way would be a good outcome for me.

Thank you, sir!

-John

yacraps likes this.
  12. von duck, May 22, 2019

von duck

von duck Member

:confused: Does this mean you're going to finally send me, my comped copy of the book? :)

13. yacraps, May 22, 2019

yacraps

yacraps Member

...we have to give the duck a break :rolleyes: he had some rough winter landings as this young lady demonstrates

Night Attack likes this.
  14. James Hall, May 22, 2019

James Hall

James Hall Member

What is it they say about blonds???

15. Night Attack, May 22, 2019

Night Attack

Night Attack Member

Mate i don't know how many times this duckling has tried that jump, but she seriously whacked the back of her head on that frozen lake. That's gotta hurt!

yacraps likes this.
  16. yacraps, May 22, 2019

yacraps

yacraps Member

they always fail the driving test for a drivers license.....

at the beginning of the test they always jump in the back seat :rolleyes:

17. yacraps, May 22, 2019

yacraps

yacraps Member

yes you are so right Night Attack and thats my point this lady was feet first where as the duck goes head first I keep telling him feet first feet first...but he just doesn't get it maybe if I told him in German he might understand :)

Night Attack likes this.
  18. The Midnight Skulker, May 22, 2019

The Midnight Skulker

Would that be because the back window is always closed whereas the front window isn't?

yacraps likes this.
  19. yacraps, May 23, 2019

yacraps

yacraps Member

...LOL...

lone irish digit and JCinPA like this.
  20. basicstrategy777, May 24, 2019

basicstrategy777

If you want this classic...you will pay full price of 39 dollars US.