A-10

Discussion in 'Offtopic Lounge' started by basicstrategy777, Jan 13, 2017.

1. basicstrategy777, Jan 13, 2017

basicstrategy777

The A-10 looks like it’s here to stay after new Air Force upgrades
    By Alex Lockie
    Business Insider
    Jan 11, 2017 5:19:51 pm
    Aviation, US Air Force

In another positive sign for the beloved A-10, Air Force maintainers at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base in Arizona have outfitted the Warthog with an upgrade for combat search and rescue missions, or CSAR.

Dubbed the lightweight airborne recovery system, the upgrade helps A-10 pilots “communicate more effectively with individuals on the ground such as downed pilots, pararescuemen, and joint terminal attack controllers,” according to an Air Force statement.

Of all the fixed-wing aircraft in the US Air Force’s inventory, no plane carries out CSAR missions like the A-10.

CSAR missions jump off with little warning and often involve going deep into enemy territory, so becoming certified to perform CSAR missions takes tons of training, which only A-10 pilots undergo.

The A-10’s rugged survivability, massive forward firing power, newly acquired communication capabilities, and long loiter times at low altitudes make it ideal for flying low and slow and finding the lost person.

According to the Air Force, an “urgent operational need arose in August” for increased CSAR capabilities. Within a few months, the “massive logistical challenge” that required the Air Force to “build a production machine, find facilities, manpower, equipment, tools, and make material kits (to) execute the requirement” came together, and now 19 A-10s sport the upgrade, according to the Air Force.

“A-10 pilots take the combat search and rescue role very seriously,” said Lt. Col. Ryan Hayde, 354th Fighter Squadron commander and A-10 pilot, according to the Air Force statement. “While this is just one tool, it can assist us in bringing them back to US soil safely.”

yacraps and Pressit like this.
  2. Pressit, Jan 13, 2017

Pressit

Pressit Member

The A-10 may fly slow and low, but she is a BEAST of death and destruction.

3. Settingcanthurt, Jan 13, 2017

Settingcanthurt

In 1976 I was a small part of setting up and hosting foreign military buyers for a Nato Air firepower display. We set up bleachers on temp tarmac strips with a small Helo landing zone on a mountainside in the desert south of Gila Bend AZ About 10-15 miles out and below there had been several targets set up constructed of wood which consisted of a pseudo convoy as well as hidden bunkers and other buildings. We had Arabs in their robes as well as French, German, many other countries were there including Iranians who trained a lot with the Air Force.
    I was used to seeing the F4,s and F104,s C130,s almost every day but this was different. A squadron of 8 in two groups of F 15's bombed the shit out of the targets. After strafing the convoy which had some kind of ordinance to blow up inside the targets. The F15's barely shot up the Convoy and in came the A10 Warthog. It came in from behind us low and slow and startled the hell out of me and went down the mountain slope turning a bank lined up on the convoy and annihilated it with missiles. It slowly pulled up and flew away behind a additional mountain on the other side of the valley. Everybody cheered as it flew away.
    It made an additional appearance and strafed the smoldering ruins just for show.

It was the strangest looking plane I had ever seen. The rest of the display was somewhat boring as it took place so high and fast maneuvering with F15's and F16's. There was some purpose but it was not evident to me on the ground.
    I took a bunch of pictures which I lost when the camera was stolen from the trunk of my car.
    The audience were all served cold drinks and our job was to clean up after they left. It was a interesting day.

crispcem, Twelve4s and yacraps like this.
  4. Twelve4s, Jan 13, 2017

Twelve4s

Twelve4s Member

I was lucky enough to attend an air show at Luke AFB, all the best hardware for us civilians to gawk at. I still remember an A10 pilot standing by his plane and doing a Q&A session with the public. Someone asked him what it was like to shoot the 30mm cannon and the pilot got this grin of satisfaction as he described the effect of all that firepower. Then it became obvious the questioner was also a pilot, because he followed up by asking about the stall speed on the A10. The AF pilot then explained that if your rate of attack wasn't fast enough when firing that cannon, that the plane would easily stall due to the recoil. That image stuck with me for a long time.

IMG_5985.JPG

IMG_5982.JPG

IMG_5984.JPG

crispcem, Settingcanthurt and yacraps like this.
  5. Settingcanthurt, Jan 13, 2017

Settingcanthurt

Now that you mention it Twelve I recall hearing about the stall speed as well. Your video brings back fond memories of that day especially the strafing. You are the best at digging this stuff up.
    Are you in Arizona? If so there is a golf course right there in Avondale that has hole 7 I believe that is right up against the runway where you can watch F15's touch and go. Bring some ear plugs.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/a18236/why-the-a-10-warthog-is-such-a-badass-plane/

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    Twelve4s and yacraps like this.
  6. Dave G Ct, Jan 13, 2017

Dave G Ct

Dave G Ct Member

In Ct the Air National Guard has a squadron of A-10's over at Bradley Field Windsor Locks.They are painted black I believe.

yacraps likes this.
  7. AzDice, Jan 14, 2017

AzDice

AzDice Member

Twelve4s likes this.
  8. Settingcanthurt, Jan 14, 2017

Settingcanthurt

That little piece of fence looks like what is at the end of the Fairway. I just for kicks went and looked up the Gila Bend Gunnery Range which is nothing but a abandoned RV park today. Lots of shit buried in that desert out there. They had a crew burying stuff every day with a earth mover a couple graders and a bulldozer or two. Man could get rich on the scrap metal alone.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    Twelve4s and yacraps like this.
  9. AzDice, Jan 14, 2017

AzDice

AzDice Member

I filmed it with my phone. Doesn't give justice as to how loud they are flying together. It was 2016 Air Show at Luke Air Force Base.
    I don't go on the base during the show. I just find a place near the runway. It's held every 2 years.
    I'm only 6 miles away from the base. Got the doors open enjoying this great AZ. weather and I can hear them taking off.
    Lucky to have McCain as senator. He's helping keep Luke open. Waiting for some football to start. I'm hoping for Green Bay, Atlanta and Pittsburgh. We all know who's gonna win the patriots game

Twelve4s likes this.
  10. yacraps, Jan 14, 2017

yacraps

yacraps Member

12s the warthog has always ben a favorite of mine along with the flying blackbird what is really amazing to me about the A-10 is the ammunition is as big as liman :eek: :oops:

crispcem and Twelve4s like this.
  11. basicstrategy777, Jan 14, 2017

basicstrategy777

Not quite that big.

yacraps and Twelve4s like this.
  12. lone irish digit, Jan 15, 2017

lone irish digit

A-10 brings to me flashbacks of Fairchild Republic...

yacraps likes this.
  13. Twelve4s, Jan 17, 2017

Twelve4s

Twelve4s Member

If I was in Arizona, I'd be hanging out here and learning how to win:

IMG_4647.JPG

Settingcanthurt and yacraps like this.
  14. Twelve4s, Jan 17, 2017

Twelve4s

Twelve4s Member

I can see why...

IMG_6118.JPG

crispcem and yacraps like this.

15. Twelve4s

Twelve4s Member

The fix is in. Can you say rigged?

The U.S. Air Force Is Hiding Its Controversial Flyoff Between the A-10 and F-35 - The Drive https://apple.news/AJp4o4V7lQ-iO94-z8LFf4w

yacraps likes this.
  16. Settingcanthurt, Jul 12, 2018 at 4:50 PM

Settingcanthurt

Those are two completely different types of Planes. Im confused. Fly-off??

yacraps likes this.