$3 tables V/S $5 tables

Discussion in 'Bankroll Management' started by Onautopilot, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Onautopilot, Jan 25, 2015

Onautopilot

Onautopilot Member

I often wonder why people try and find the out of the way $3 tables. If you compare the difference it really doesn't amount to that much more expected loss playing on a $5 table. Take a fairly conservative play....$5 line bet, single or double odds, and place the 6 & 8 for $6 each. You have approximately $27 dollars average action per decision. On the $3 table it would be approximately $15 average action per decision. If you play for an hour, that would be somewhere around $250 more action on the $5 table than the $3 table (Based on 25-30 decisions per hour). That action amounts to around a negative expectation of 1.5 % on the line and place bets, and 0% on the odds bets. So only somewhere around an additional $150 would be exposed to the negative expectation on a $5 table verses a $3 table.....expected extra loss of around a couple of bucks! I did the math in my head, so maybe Alan or one of the other mathematicians will refine this some, but it isn't a big deal in my opinion. :) Of course the variance increase some, but having the choice of more tables appeals to me more than the possible variance thing.

2. goatcabin, Jan 28, 2015

goatcabin

goatcabin Member

If you play at a $3 table, you can afford more odds. Shifting money from the flat bet to the odds is how you reduce the house edge. You are always talking about how there's really only one session, no matter how you break it up. The difference between .0707 and .0424 isn't much, or even 60 times that, but you are accepting 2/3 as much house edge; extrapolate that over your lifetime, JB. If you compare $3, 3, 4, 5x odds to $5, double odds for 60 bets, the expected loss is only 60% as much, and the SD is about half. Think of the difference in terms of percentage, not expected loss for one session. You also would need a considerably smaller bankroll for the $3 table.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

3. Onautopilot, Jan 28, 2015

Onautopilot

Onautopilot Member

I agree, that makes sense. I was mostly referring to the time spent searching for a $3 table instead of opting to play a few sessions on $5 ones. There are so many more $5 table than $3 ones, and my experience has been that the crowd at the $3 table was not always to my liking. I guess that stems from some of times I played the quarter tables in Benny's Horseshoe in Vegas. :)

4. KokomoJoe4, Feb 28, 2015

KokomoJoe4

KokomoJoe4 Member

While some will argue that starting at the lowest minimum serves a protective function, there is also a greater likelihood of encountering all there is to encounter where the minimum is lowest. Usually, this is more aggravating than desirable.

To each his own, but I'll usually get on a $10 table when $5 is the min, or a $15 or $25 when it's $10.

No question Alan that 'odds are where it's at'. If one can afford them, the more the merrier. When ahead, they are easier to afford. The more ahead, the more affordable.

It is the getting ahead which is sometimes most difficult. In my mind, but apparently not in the mind of the toughest of the tough, it is advisable to utilize natural winners, by way of parlays, to help one get and stay ahead. Sure, there are times the parlay goes right back down, but utilizing it, one has two ways to coax additional chips out of the bank, and for one important roll, one finds himself favored over the bank.

How's that Sally?

5. Liman

Liman Member

Id prefer a dollar table with 100 times odds, but a 3 dollar table with 30 times odds would suit me better than a 5 dollar table with 10 times odds.

my take on it...........its like all the DI players tell me constantly, while di might only make a tiny difference, its still a difference, and while the lower flat bet with higher odds isn't a terribly big advantage for me, its something, and when playing against house edge, Ill take whatever they will give me in my favor.

6. KokomoJoe4, Feb 28, 2015

KokomoJoe4

KokomoJoe4 Member

Here here Liman. No argument from me. That said, you ain't gonna find many $3 tables with 30x odds. $1 with 100x, nirvanna

7. 514natural, Mar 7, 2015

514natural

514natural Member

how common are 3-5$ tables in AC over a weekend??say thursday to sunday??I've grown accustomed to betting 10$passlines and 12$ 6-8s but doesnt allow for long sessions on a smaller bankroll(100-200$) .i still do pretty well and learned to limit my losses.i figure with anything lower than 10$ minimum i wud have a chance at great success at a table.so again my question is, how common are the 1-5$ craps tables in AC over a weekend?

best of luck to all
    Natural

8. FredP

FredP Member

I can't speak for weekends but it's hard to find a $5 table during the week!
    If there are any it will be early morning through 2-3 PM.

Fred

9. dicepunk, Jun 14, 2015

dicepunk

dicepunk Member

I find that low minimum tables provide greater flexibility when employing a regression strategy. In consideration of that, it is still not worth the time to seek out a $3 table, easier to find a table with $5 minimum. If you happen to come across a $3 table, great.