2017 MLB

Discussion in 'Offtopic Lounge' started by AzDice, Apr 2, 2017.

1. yacraps, Oct 3, 2017

yacraps

yacraps Member

Maybe not....thats why the games is played :)

random_roller and Onautopilot like this.
  2. random_roller, Oct 3, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

Yay, Santana finally got a breaking ball over for a strike (pitch 47 or so).

3. random_roller, Oct 3, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

Better restock before the important postseason games start, lol.

Onautopilot and yacraps like this.
  4. random_roller, Oct 3, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

Down 1, but with runners on 1st & 2nd, no outs and the Twins eschew the bunt? WTF? Yeah, I realize 5 runs probably won't win this game (and Molitor is probably playing for a big inning), but Minnesota has to tie up the game before it can (hopefully) take the lead.

yacraps likes this.
  5. betwthelines, Oct 3, 2017

betwthelines

betwthelines Member

bunting in the third is not NECESSARILY the play...it's something, really, where one could go either way without particularly calling anyone to task over it...not bunting sends a message too...

perhaps molitor was on the phone with our cowboy, playing to win...:)

this game was over after 1/2 inning when the twinks leave 2 in scoring position with one out...up 3 zip, still called it at the time...VERY, VERY typical twinks vs yankmees.

tom p

random_roller and yacraps like this.
  6. random_roller, Oct 3, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

The Twins had a great season in 2017, even if it ended a few games shorter than perhaps they had hoped. Still, this experience should accelerate the development of their younger players. Minnesota needs to build on this showing during the offseason, rather than risk having a repeat of 2016 (following a 83-79 record in 2015). We'll see what happens during the offseason and at the winter meetings.

Bring on the Yankees.

yacraps and betwthelines like this.
  7. basicstrategy777, Oct 4, 2017

basicstrategy777

Sports is somethin' else..............a ball.

yacraps likes this.
  8. random_roller, Oct 4, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

2nd & 3rd with 1 out is much better than 1st & 2nd with 1 out. But then again, the Twins had that (2nd & 3rd with 1 out) in the 1st inning and failed to capitalize, so perhaps Molitor was trying to avoid a repeat scenario and rolled the dice. Not bunting in that situation sent multiple messages, including "my bullpen can't hold a small lead".

From my perspective, the game was (basically) over when Santana committed a cardinal sin by walking the leadoff hitter in the bottom of the 1st inning after being staked a 3-0 lead. WTF, that runner is scoring @38% of the time.

https://www.fangraphs.com/community/the-leadoff-walk/

yacraps and betwthelines like this.
  9. betwthelines, Oct 4, 2017

betwthelines

betwthelines Member

LOL..what can one say to this except, "duh".
    i basically said there really is not a credible criticism either way regarding bunting in the 3rd inning...but since you brought it up just for arguments sake (lol) i will take the other side...any "messages" are weak ones to begin with and regards already known facts ..the twinkies did not need to "not bunt" for the yankmees to already know that that the twink's "bullpen can't hold a small lead"...lol.

not bunting also says, "we are coming after you...we are playing to win, and have the nuts to do it"...this too is a hollow message without much content in baseball...such a message is more applicable to football especially and the other lesser sports rather than the subtle prose or poetry that is baseball.
    yep. agree completely...nice link, thanks...interesting, though not unexpected, no matter how one reaches first the chances of scoring are about the same yet the walk by slight pct points does lead the way...lol.

tom p

"...In football we have the BLITZ, the BOMB, the aerial ATTACK, the ground attack, the object is for the quarterback, also known as the FIELD GENERAL, to be on TARGET with his aerial ASSUALT, riddling the defense by hitting his receivers with DEADLY accuracy in spite of the BLITZ, even if he has to use the SHOTGUN. With short BULLET passes and long BOMBS, he MARCHES his TROOPS into ENEMY TERRITORY, balancing this AERIAL ASSUALT with a sustained GROUND ATTACK that punches holes in the forward wall of the ENEMY'S DEFENSIVE LINE.

in baseball we have the sacrifice.
    we're going
    home...we're safe at home."
    --george carlin, Baseball & Football

basicstrategy777 and yacraps like this.
  10. yacraps, Oct 4, 2017

yacraps

yacraps Member

I tip my hat to the Twins.....and now I say the words that I am sure Custard yelled to his troops...
    HERE COMES THE INDIANS ...:eek:

random_roller and betwthelines like this.
  11. betwthelines, Oct 5, 2017

betwthelines

betwthelines Member

------------->triples rant again<-----------​

yep. i see in 2017 that giancarlo stanton slammed 59 round trippers in the senior circuit and heah come the judge, heah come the judge with 52 in the 'merican league.

<yawn>

hominy major leaguers are there anyway? i guess if one counts a 40 man roster that makes what? hokey smokes, rocky, that makes 1,200 major leaguers.

a full three (3) of these twelve hundred (0.25%) streaked for double figures in triples in 2017...i love triples (only ISPHRs tops them for batting and base running excitement) and the loss of the art would not bother me so much IF THESE MAJOR LEAGUERS DID NOT "PULL UP" AT SECOND INSTEAD OF STREAKING FULL SPEED AROUND THE SECOND BAG WHEN IT IS SAFE TO DO SO!!

but noooooooo...lazy on up to the bag at first instead of rounding it when prudent gets you a fine...do it at second and you are playing good, "percentage" baseball...bullshit. i say...

bullshit...

pull up to the keystone sack or lazily stroll a few feet past it and a bobble or misplay in the outfield re-starts you safely to third and ya got yerself a double with a fielding error...STREAK around it LIKE YOU OFTEN SHOULD BUT DON'T and that slight hesitation or bobble or bad route to the ball and you got yourself a beautiful TRIPLE!

----------------------------------------------

so it has now been 89 years since any major leaguer has belted 20 triples two years in a row...hey, now there's a trivia question, eh? naw. ok. earle combs of the yankmees did it in 1927 - 1928...

only once since then--hey, folks, we are not that far off from a gawwdam century!! -- have ANY 2 different players smacked 20 or more 3 baggers two years inna row!...only ONCE since then have both leagues had a 20 triples man (2007 curtis granderson, det. 23; jimmy rollins, phillies, 20...the pop culture, so-called baseball scribes didn't even notice).

60 homers? 61? 59? 70 on juice? 72? 52 dingers? naw. good but no longer impressive...smack 20 or more triples two years inna row, then you got my attention.

tom p

p.s. believe me, i was paying attention: cristian guzman of the minnesota twinks, who rounded second base like a major leaguer should, ran for 20 triples in 2000...in mid august 2001 he was on a pace to smack 22 or 23 when an injury put him out for most of the rest of the way and back-to-back 20 triples once again went by the boreds...nevertheless his 14 still lead both leagues.

yacraps likes this.
  12. random_roller, Oct 5, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

The reality is modern ballparks (translation: venues with considerably a smaller outfield) aren't nearly as conducive for hitting triples as the endless, vast prairies that masqueraded as outfields in baseball stadiums of yesteryear. Back then, hit one in the alley and the ball might roll until the next day in some of those old ballparks. Original dimensions: Yankee Stadium was 281' left, 490' center ("Death Valley") and 295' right. Ebbets Field was 419' left. 450' center, 301 right. Tiger Stadium was 345' left, 467' center, 370' right. Cleveland Municipal Stadium 322' left, 470' center, 322' right. Braves Field (Boston) was 402' left, 550' center, 402' right. Yeah, 550' to center. Crazy.

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/

The other reality is the HR plates at least 1 run without any further event. Much preferable to a triple, which still requires something else to happen before it pays off (just like the come bet; sorry, couldn't pass that up). And a HR often results a souvenir for a fan; a triple is useless in that regard. Perhaps, though, you're a triple maven (like Letterman was a balk maven).

I looked up Guzman's stats at Baseball Reference. When he was with the Twins, he played at the infamous Hefty Bag, where balls had a tendency to get lost in the lighting/dome more frequently than perhaps at most other parks. I can imagine a few fly balls being "misplayed" (late jump) that probably helped him accumulate a few more triples (but probably wouldn't explain all 20) Curiously, after the 2003 season, he never really came close (again) to double-digits in triples, with 7 being his high. Why is that? It wasn't a lack of ABs/PAs (excluding 2007).

Nah, triples are boring. Give me back-to-back no hitters by the same pitcher in the same season. Your 20 or more triples in a season are like road lice in comparison.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    yacraps likes this.
  13. random_roller, Oct 5, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

Red Sox ace Chris Sale threw batting practice Thursday afternoon. Unfortunately for him (and Boston), it was during an ALDS game. In his first-ever post season start, Sale was tagged for 9 hits and 7 earned runs in 5 innings against Houston. Ouch.

Onautopilot and yacraps like this.
  14. random_roller, Oct 5, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

Yankees catcher Gary Sanchez had a tough night behind the plate, getting pummeled by numerous foul tips and pitches bouncing off the dirt. Hopefully, the hot tub & ice packs are working. He's probably gonna be sore for the game on Friday afternoon.

yacraps likes this.
  15. TDVegas, Oct 5, 2017

TDVegas

TDVegas Member

That left field in Houston is a bit of a joke. I didn't know they got rid of the incline in CF. That was such a crappy design feature and ripe for injuring a player.

random_roller and yacraps like this.
  16. yacraps, Oct 6, 2017

yacraps

yacraps Member

LOL

17. random_roller, Oct 6, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

Don't forget the flag pole that was out there, too. How did those features ever get approved? Both were removed after the 2016 season.

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2016/10/12/205915042/photos-tals-hill-is-no-more

yacraps likes this.
  18. yacraps, Oct 6, 2017

yacraps

yacraps Member

What a game (and series this is going to be) 6 -3 in the top of the third a shame someone has to lose...this game is not even close to being over

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Onautopilot and random_roller like this.
  19. yacraps, Oct 6, 2017

yacraps

yacraps Member

Roller Sanchez might be sore....but is swing isn't :rolleyes:

20. random_roller, Oct 6, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

It is now!!!!

upload_2017-10-6_21-25-36.png

Hard fought win by the Indians on an evening when Corey Kluber had worse stuff than I did (back in the day). Wow, great win by Cleveland. Let's close this out in New York!!

yacraps and Onautopilot like this.