2017 MLB

Discussion in 'Offtopic Lounge' started by AzDice, Apr 2, 2017.

1. random_roller, Oct 11, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

Tough ending to the season for the Arizona Diamondbacks. That NL wildcard play-in game really threw their starting rotation for a loop and the Dbacks don't have the Yankees' bullpen talent or depth. Give Los Angeles credit, too -- they played very well during the NLDS.

AzDice and yacraps like this.
  2. AzDice, Oct 12, 2017

AzDice

AzDice Member

RR,
    Yea they messed up the rotation by bringing in their number two starter when Granki only went four innings. That's the price you pay to win the one game that is equal to a game seven. Win or go home.
    Robby Ray was also struggling in his start for game two, but he was pitching with only two days rest having pitched Wednesday night in a short relief situation.

I have a question for the people reading this thread.

What is your opinion regarding the one game wild card play off?

I'm ok with it because making it a 3 game series would allow the other teams more rest while the wild cards are extending their fielders and pitchers.
    Some people say baseball season is too long. Maybe shorten it a few games and expand the playoffs so that all teams that do make the playoffs start at the same time. So there is no advantage from resting.

random_roller and yacraps like this.
  3. lone irish digit, Oct 12, 2017

lone irish digit

Watching a little of the Cubs game and Eagles football game I must say I am really impressed by Tony Romo. He's about the best football analyst ever on TV.

4. yacraps, Oct 12, 2017

yacraps

yacraps Member

Its been a good one the Cubbys and Nationals...but now its due or die for the Nats

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  5. TDVegas, Oct 12, 2017

TDVegas

TDVegas Member

Nats just can't over the hump....

They continue to exit the playoffs.

Nice win for Cubs. Seemed like a loooong game.

yacraps likes this.
  6. random_roller, Oct 13, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

I like the 1 game play-in for wildcard teams. Perhaps added incentive to play hard the entire season and win the division. That sense of do-or-die is perfect for this game, since neither team would be in the playoffs without wildcard teams. The way things played out down the stretch, there were many meaningful games involving multiple teams in both leagues up to the last few days of the regular season.

yacraps likes this.
  7. random_roller, Oct 13, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

Those that can't do, teach. :D

yacraps likes this.
  8. yacraps, Oct 15, 2017

yacraps

yacraps Member

Wow three run walk off by the dodgers what a game

9. TDVegas, Oct 16, 2017

TDVegas

TDVegas Member

I would actually prefer to shorten the regular season...make the wild card 2 of 3 and the rest of the series 4 of 7.

Cut the season to 150 games and structure the season so it's not 28 degrees in Minnesota, Detroit, Chicago, Boston, etc. on April 3 or October 26.

150 games is more than enough....almost double NBA and NHL..

80+ for NBA and NHL
    16 for football.

yacraps and basicstrategy777 like this.
  10. random_roller, Oct 16, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

I think the baseball regular season is too long, also. 150 regular season games sounds about right

yacraps likes this.
  11. betwthelines, Oct 17, 2017

betwthelines

betwthelines Member

yes, 150 would work.

but being somewhat anachronistically tradition-bound when it comes to 'ball, 154 games would bring it back to the what used to be the regular season for over six decades.

but reducing the regular season would not solve my own problem with the world series...which is that, unlike the lesser sports where it does not matter, baseball has a season & it is OVER by the time the ws is played...the playoffs, eg best 2 of the for the wc & extension of the other series could still bring it into november, which can happen now...winter holiday plans are moving closer to the front of citizens' minds.

the world series used to be one of the best times of the year for me. indeed virtually the entire nation, including even marginal fans and perhaps most importantly 12 year old boys, were paying attention... ws games made the evening news...the only other ml games that might make the nightly news were no hitters as the good night story.

yes, the world serious used to be a big deal...nowadays though a high percentage of 12 year old boys and girls are in bed at eleven o'clock or midnight on a school night as the high level of skill by two of the best teams in 'ball is blunted by frigid, even freezing, nighttime temperatures...contrast this with when the ws was such a huge deal that teachers might even bring in radios & interrupt classes a bit so their 12 year olds and other kids (& themselves) could listen to the games...

today even some hard core fans cannot watch until the end of some games so they can get up early to go to work & even these big 'ball fans might be distracted by by the middle of football season to pay close attention at all.

and not all even do pay close attention. baseball season is OVER by the time the ws comes around.

tom p

yacraps and Onautopilot like this.
  12. yacraps, Oct 17, 2017

yacraps

yacraps Member

I have memories of listening to the WS at grade school on the radio ;)

betwthelines likes this.