2017 MLB

Discussion in 'Offtopic Lounge' started by AzDice, Apr 2, 2017.

1. AzDice, Apr 2, 2017

AzDice

AzDice Member

14911612571281468109833.jpg I got the Dbacks

random_roller likes this.
  2. AzDice, Apr 2, 2017

AzDice

AzDice Member

Opening day today for DBACKS. It's on Sunday because Final game tomorrow for Men's college is here in Phoenix

3. random_roller, Apr 4, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

I hope there were a lot more people at the opening game than what the picture is showing. The grounds crew was still out there, so first pitch was probably a ways off at that point.

4. betwthelines, Apr 4, 2017

betwthelines

betwthelines Member

freshly back from the streaking twinks lid-lifter and their impressive 1.000 winning pct and recalling the great fun had with his kirby puckett trivia of some months ago (the ONLY player in mlb history with 500 or more at bats to hit zero home runs in a season and go yard over 30 times in another season [the bohunk is particularly enamored of those "only one ever" trivialities] and still in the afterglow and in honor of the 2017 opening, i thought i would offer up some more trivialities for your considerations...

we'll start with an easy one and even just saying that is a very broad hint in itself, practically gives it away:

1.everyone except maybe some golfers and others of similarly curious mental proclivities knows about joltin' joe's near unassailable 1941 record 56 game hitting streak...dimagg batted .408 during that magic...can you name the player that had a HIGHER batting average during that streak?​

2. can you name the player that a. had 297 three hit games but only one 3 strikeout game...b. struck out only 23 times in 474 at bats against Hall of Fame pitchers...and c. batted .415 in 94 at bats against greg maddux?​

3. i got plenty more in my back pocket but we'll leave it at 3 for today...well, anyone paying attention last time knows that kirby, despite a foreshortened career of only 12 seasons was an utterly non controversial first ballot pick for cooperstown...four other center fielders were named on the first ballot...how many of them can you name?​

answers tomorrow or maybe the next day but feel free to weigh in with your guesses...

tom p

"time begins on opening day" --thomas boswell, Why Time Begins on Opening Day, 1985

5. random_roller, Apr 4, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

1. Ted Wiliams
    2. Tony Gwynn -- the only player Maddux didn't get at least 6" off the plate on both sides called a strike.
    3. Ty Cobb, Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, Ken Griffey, Jr.

far out likes this.
  6. AzDice, Apr 4, 2017

AzDice

AzDice Member

Random,
    It was a sold out game. I didn't want to be posting during the game.
    You are correct about ground crew out there. That picture was half hour before first pitch. First pitch was 1:10

7. yacraps, Apr 4, 2017

yacraps

yacraps Member

What a 9th watched that game so much for spending big bucks on a closer.... I guess that wasnt fair to say rather I should of said he proved he was human what a 9th inning for the D- backs

AzDice and random_roller like this.
  8. random_roller, Apr 4, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

It can happen to the best closers. Cody Allen (one of Cleveland's closers, along with lefty what's-his-name) gave up a run on back-to-back doubles leading off the bottom of the 9th. He then proceeded to strike out the next 3 hitters (giving him 6 Ks in 2.0 IPs this season) and the Tribe hung on to defeat Texas 4-3.

yacraps likes this.
  9. random_roller, Apr 4, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

Opening Day is awesome. Fans are still optimistic about their team's chances. I consider it the start of spring.

Onautopilot, Twelve4s, AzDice and 2 others like this.
  10. yacraps, Apr 4, 2017

yacraps

yacraps Member

That was another good one was thinking of you when I got to see the last 2 innings ;)

AzDice and random_roller like this.
  11. random_roller, Apr 4, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

I'm pretty excited about this season. As long as the Cleveland Indians avoid major injuries, they're going to be good. Right now Kipnis (2B) is out, as is RF (Lonnie Chisenhall). When they finally get everyone back and up to speed (including LF Michael Brantley, who missed almost all of last season) and put it all together, the Tribe should be really good.

AzDice and yacraps like this.
  12. yacraps, Apr 4, 2017

yacraps

yacraps Member

For sure....hey 2 and 0...only thing is 160 more to go :rolleyes: baring tragedy they will be in the running ;)

random_roller likes this.
  13. random_roller, Apr 4, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

2-0 is a good start, especially on the road against a good team (Texas) that made the playoffs last season and is picked by many to win the AL West this year. But it's a long season.

This is much better than when I was in high school and college. Back then, the Indians were basically eliminated from playoff contention when May arrived. Then, after decades of suffering, along came Tom Berenger, Wesley Snipes, Charlie Sheen, and Corbin Bernsen. Several years later, Sandy Alomar, Jr., Kenny Lofton, Jose Cuervo, er, Mesa, and Jim Thome arrived (along with Albert Belle, Manny Ramirez, Omar Vizquel, and others).

yacraps likes this.
  14. AzDice, Apr 5, 2017

AzDice

AzDice Member

You're correct about closers. Dbacks beat Mariano Duncan in game seven to win world Series. I'm sure there are many closer failures but that one to me is the best

yacraps likes this.
  15. AzDice, Apr 5, 2017

AzDice

AzDice Member

Sorry to burst your bubble. Cleveland in town to play Dbacks this weekend. Dbacks will ruin their perfect season.

yacraps likes this.
  16. AzDice, Apr 5, 2017

AzDice

AzDice Member

I'm hoping Dbacks can get a wild card spot. Dodgers or Giants gonna win our division.
    Like Charles Barkley said... Playoffs are another season.

yacraps likes this.
  17. random_roller, Apr 5, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

On paper, the Dodgers should be really good this season. I expect LA to win the division. The Giants should also be good. Don't know much about Arizona, but when there are 2 other playoff-caliber teams in the division, it makes things much more difficult for the Dbacks.

Is that the same Charles Barkley who wrote the book on how to lose millions playing blackjack?

Twelve4s and yacraps like this.
  18. random_roller, Apr 5, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

I'm not too concerned with what happens in April & May. As long as Cleveland stays healthy and the team is playing its best baseball in September, the Indians should make the playoffs. MLB wanted to give the rest of the AL Central a break by having Cleveland start the season with 6 road games against decent opposition (Texas, Arizona). Okay, perhaps April weather in Cleveland had something to do with the scheduling, too.

Twelve4s, yacraps and AzDice like this.
  19. AzDice, Apr 5, 2017

AzDice

AzDice Member

Random,
    Yes. That Charles. He must have added when it should have been a negative count

Twelve4s, yacraps and random_roller like this.
  20. yacraps, Apr 5, 2017

yacraps

yacraps Member

Heeeey what about the Padres :rolleyes::rolleyes: :confused: Lol...

Twelve4s likes this.