2017 College Football Season

Discussion in 'Offtopic Lounge' started by random_roller, Jul 24, 2017.

1. random_roller, Jul 24, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

We're still @5 weeks away from the official start of the 2017 College Football Season. However, from my perspective today marks the unofficial start of football in the Big Ten, as B1G Football Media Day 2017 has kicked off this morning at McCormick Center. Ohio State head football coach Urban Meyer is at the podium as I am typing this.

The Buckeyes will be tested right away, with a conference road game at Indiana. If anyone wasn't paying attention late last season, Indiana and then-head coach Kevin Wilson parted ways under less-than-cordial terms. Shortly afterwards, Wilson was hired by Urban Meyer to revive the erratic (and often non-existent) Buckeye passing game. In game #2, likely preseason Top 10 Oklahoma will travel to Columbus and play Ohio State.

For those of you in Las Vegas who root for UNLV, the Rebels will travel to the Old Horseshoe on the banks of the Olentangy River and play Ohio State on September 23.

Ah, can't wait for another season of college football to begin.

Go Buckeyes!

2. random_roller, Jul 24, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

Just a reminder, current Ohio State head football coach Urban Meyer has compiled a 10-3 bowl game record and 3 national championships while at OSU, Florida and Utah (no bowl games while HC at Bowling Green). Yeah, last year's final game was a stinker, getting drilled 31-0 by eventual national champion Clemson in the CFP Semifinal Game (Fiesta Bowl). What is interesting is what happened following Meyer's first 2 bowl game losses. BTW, how the heck did Clemson lose at home to Pitt -- no offense, Koko. And the Tigers should also have lost to at home to NC State. But I digress...

In 2007, Michigan beat Meyer's Florida Gators 41-35 in the Citrus Bowl. The next season (2008), the Gators won their 2nd national championship under Meyer, beating Oklahoma 24-14 in the BCS Championship Game.

In 2013, Clemson (that team again?) beat Meyer's Ohio State team 40-35 in the Orange Bowl. The next season (2014), Ohio State squeaked into the College Football Playoffs as the #4 team on the basis of a 59-0 victory over Wisconsin in the Big Ten Championship. Some indecision/ineptitude by the Big XII didn't hurt. The rest, as they say, is history. The #4 Buckeyes rolled heavily favored #1 Alabama 42-35 in the CFP Semifinal (Sugar Bowl), a game that was not as close as the final score. In the CFP Championship Game, Ohio State defeated favored #2 Oregon & Heisman Trophy winner Marcus Mariota 42-20, a game that was not as close as the final score.

In 2016, Clemson demolished Ohio State 31-0 in a CFP Semifinal Game. Will history repeat for Coach Meyer? Ohio State returns @15 starters, an experienced senior QB, and a pissed off coaching staff (including new OC Kevin Wilson) armed with a loaded roster despite again losing multiple underclassmen to the 2017 NFL Draft. Of course, the absolutely loaded 2015 Ohio State team (5 future #1 picks in the 2016 NFL Draft) didn't win it all, but then, the Buckeyes had won it all the year before.

yacraps, Onautopilot and Twelve4s like this.
  3. Onautopilot, Jul 24, 2017

Onautopilot

Onautopilot Member

How in the heck do you remember all this data? :)

4. Twelve4s, Jul 24, 2017

Twelve4s

Twelve4s Member

5. random_roller, Jul 24, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

I only remember some things. Other information I look up as needed. As an alum, I follow Ohio State football. Besides, I need to have enough ammo to do battle with SEC fans during college football season. :D

If the US Supreme Court declares PASPA unconstitutional and the state where I reside allows sports betting, perhaps I'll be able to put Google and my Excel abilities to good (new!) use.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  6. yacraps, Jul 25, 2017

yacraps

yacraps Member

This is interesting when you click on the states in red that the feds allow
    http://www.uspokersites.com/poker-n...ves-paspa-gaming-law-is-unconstitutional/3022

random_roller and Twelve4s like this.
  7. random_roller, Jul 25, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

Several states (including Oregon, Montana & Delaware) were grandfathered under PASPA. New Jersey was not one of them, although it had the opportunity years ago to become grandfathered (but failed to act within the one year timeframe).

yacraps likes this.
  8. random_roller, Aug 3, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

The first edition of the 2017 Amway Coaches Poll is out. Alabama is #1, followed by #2 Ohio State, #3 Florida State and #4 USC. There are 4 B1G Ten teams in the Top 10 of the inaugural coaches poll. Somewhere, SEC fans are fuming. They'll be crying if the Tide loses its first game. Right away, there are 2 huge games involving preseason Top 10 teams:

9/2 -- #4 Florida State at #1 Alabama, Atlanta, GA
    9/9 -- #8 Oklahoma at #2 Ohio State, Columbus, OH

Complete Amway Coaches Poll
    http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/football/polls/coaches-poll/

upload_2017-8-3_15-33-0.png

yacraps and Onautopilot like this.
  9. wonko33, Aug 3, 2017

wonko33

wonko33 Member

I just hope U of Washington will be fun to watch again this year

yacraps likes this.
  10. random_roller, Aug 3, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

Huskies should be really good this year. Chris Petersen is an excellent football coach. Getting to the CFP last year (ahead of schedule) and the extra practices that afforded was huge. No USC on the regular season schedule and really only 1 tough road game (at Stanford on a short week). Bye week is after game 7, which is excellent. The season should come down to the 12 Pac Championship Game, likely against USC. We'll see if USC can handle high expectations -- which they haven't done since Pete Carroll fled (ironically, to Seattle) -- and a schedule without a bye week.

yacraps likes this.
  11. yacraps, Aug 3, 2017

yacraps

yacraps Member

Its getting close... fall is a coming...still enjoying late summer but when I see the midget football kids out there in the heat practicing you know its right around the corner cant wait ;) lets see will have college and pro football ...aaaannnd the baseball playoffs and world serious oh and the little guys are firing up also the little league world championship....what a country :):cool:

Onautopilot and random_roller like this.
  12. yacraps, Aug 3, 2017

yacraps

yacraps Member

They will be fun to watch just like Roller said...not only fun to watch but fun to root for wish Nebraska could of got Peterson for a head coach hes a good man....:cool:

Onautopilot likes this.
  13. random_roller, Aug 3, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

The NFL Hall of Fame game was earlier this evening. It's too early for the NFL. Besides, college football is much more exciting. Can't beat the eye candy at the college game, either. :D

[​IMG]

Onautopilot and yacraps like this.
  14. yacraps, Aug 3, 2017

yacraps

yacraps Member

You getting geared up.. the indians are hot, ohio state is going to be top to beat .....aaaandd the browns should have a decent pass rush :eek:;):) you should be in hog heaven :D

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    random_roller likes this.
  15. yacraps, Aug 3, 2017

yacraps

yacraps Member

Wow...
    Wow... I think you been hanging around 12s too much :rolleyes::D:cool: me to probably :oops:

Onautopilot and random_roller like this.
  16. random_roller, Aug 4, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

Nothing is guaranteed and the game is still played on the field. Ohio State had more talent returning in 2015 than this year's team (Elliot & Bosa, for starters) but really didn't play up to their capabilities much of the season. As a result, the Buckeyes didn't even make the CFP. Ohio State should be in very good shape at DL this year, but a team can never have enough good linemen (on both sides of the ball).

We'll see where the Indians are in September. Hopefully leading their division but not down 2 starting pitchers like last season. As for the Browns, the Cavs signed Derek Rose. Too bad he's not even close to the same player he was coming out of high school Memphis.

yacraps likes this.
  17. random_roller, Aug 29, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

The 2017 preseason AP Poll

upload_2017-8-29_15-27-8.png

yacraps likes this.
  18. random_roller, Aug 30, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

yacraps likes this.
  19. random_roller, Aug 31, 2017

random_roller

random_roller Member

Good start to the season for the Buckeyes, winning a conference game on the road.

upload_2017-8-31_23-24-57.png

yacraps likes this.
  20. lone irish digit, Sep 1, 2017

lone irish digit

God, I love college football. Go Bucks

random_roller likes this.